Ring mod?

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
Any ring mod users? How are you using it?

I tried one today - a super ringtone - and was struggling to get music out of it :) but I think there's a lot of interesting tones in there if you get past the learning curve.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The moogerfooger mf102 is a wonderful thing and the boss MD-500 has an excellent bass like ring mod on it.
    It can work really well if you have a mix knob.
    Mike Einziger uses one really well on incubus track glass
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Yeah the mf102 is supreme, the range is huge and it does a lovely tempo varied tremolo thing.

It's a hard effect to use. But can be special.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    I’m just getting to grips with Ringmod in my new Eventide Modfactor. It’s a fab and comprehensive modulation pedal that also does interesting bitcrush effects, so cured me of my GAS for Dr Scientist Bitquest. 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    My Peavey Vyper 30 has a ring mod built in. It’s what I’d call a ‘fun’ effect but, as you say, quite tricky to use musically. Only any good for single notes imo - just a mess with chords.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    I use my moogerfooger ring mod for tangerine dream style bell sounds :)
  • I bought one on ebay years ago from a guy that built it from a kit. Got some great sounds from it. But when I picked it up again after not playing guitar for a few years, I took it for bits to build an AB box. Like a stupid c@nt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I've never understood how anyone can get anything but atonal noise from a ring mod. Can someone point me at somewhere it's been used for music?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've never understood how anyone can get anything but atonal noise from a ring mod. Can someone point me at somewhere it's been used for music?
    Guitar solo from 'Paranoid'?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Wind the effect down to virtually zero but keep the level up and it really thickens up the tone and adds a good amount of bass depth. Awesome for metal riffing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Too much ring mod gives you piles

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Jeff Beck on a few things, Wayne Krantz quite a bit,  apparently ZZ Top’s Cheap Sunglasses and the Sab’s Paranoid solo ( blended with the original signal ) and the Daleks. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    They can be fun to play with but hard to use in a practical setting. I can't think of a single record where I've gone 'listen to that ring mod, it's awesome'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah the mf102 is supreme, the range is huge and it does a lovely tempo varied tremolo thing.

It's a hard effect to use. But can be special.
    I got to borrow one of those.

I couldn’t figure a way to incorporate it into the music I do, but it sounded cool
  • I've never understood how anyone can get anything but atonal noise from a ring mod. Can someone point me at somewhere it's been used for music?
    It’s all over Tranmissions from the Satellite Heart and Clouds Taste Metallic by the Flaming Lips. Ronald Jones was an effects genius in those days.

• The moogerfooger mf102 is a wonderful thing and the boss MD-500 has an excellent bass like ring mod on it.
    It can work really well if you have a mix knob.
    Mike Einziger uses one really well on incubus track glass
    The Incubus track @meltedbuzzbox listed is a good shout - it sounds great there (and who knew Incubus used to be quite a good band!).

There's also an excellent example on the rythmn mix version of The Blue Nile's 'heatwave', though that's on a synth line.
  • They were a good band for a while. It all went tits up with a crow left of the murderer
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.