Comments

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 966
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    People like Rat's with Vox amps. They do low gain od as well as they fo the heavier stuff.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I would second the TC mojo mojo, my champ loves it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    57Deluxe said:
    @stickyfiddle - - your head must be spinning with all these 'suggestions'...

So, here's a left-field for you - go onto Alirepress and find the cheapest one listed and go for a gamble. £15 tops should do it. Then without any expectations or pre-prejudice, see what happens...!
    I'm not the OP :P 
    FFS - stop splitting hairs!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    p90fool said:
    I have a Bad Monkey and a Nobles. Both are great - you get more control out of the bad monkey because of two tone controls, low and high. 

The drive/gain on the Nobles sounds better but is 4 times the price! It's a bit more natural sounding in my opinion!

I still use the Bad Monkey loads though. Not a bad pedal at all. For the price of them, I've considered buying another incase mine dies!
    Bloody hell, I just checked the price of the Nobels to refute your claim, and they've more than doubled in three years!

I paid £38 at the beginning of 2015, and they were pretty much that price everywhere!

I too have a couple of Bad Monkeys, in fact they worked better with a Roland JC than any other drive pedal I own, regardless of price. 
    I know! It's mental. I only looked the other day. 85 quid... I think I bought mine a little over a year ago for 50 quid.

Amazon were selling Bad Monkeys off at 20 quid a couple of years ago!
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited May 2019
    two many choices in pedals these days,!!

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    It might be worth trying a boost rather than drive option, I like pushing my amp with a Boss GE-7 which allows me all sorts of eq tweaking as well as boost.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    clarkefan said:
    It might be worth trying a boost rather than drive option, I like pushing my amp with a Boss GE-7 which allows me all sorts of eq tweaking as well as boost.
    No boost will give overdrive from a non-master-volume amp unless the amp is already up loud, which is the exact opposite of what's wanted here. All it will do is make it louder and still clean - or in the case of a treble booster - louder and horribly shrill :).

(OK, if you give it a *huge* boost you could possibly make the first valve gain stage distort and then lower it with the amp's volume, but this won't sound anything like normal amp overdrive.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    ICBM said:
    clarkefan said:
    No boost will give overdrive from a non-master-volume amp unless the amp is already up loud, which is the exact opposite of what's wanted here. All it will do is make it louder and still clean - or in the case of a treble booster - louder and horribly shrill :).

(OK, if you give it a *huge* boost you could possibly make the first valve gain stage distort and then lower it with the amp's volume, but this won't sound anything like normal amp overdrive.)

Fair point well made :) I was thinking about the OP's looking for a light overdrive, and I was trying to think of an alternative.  Maybe it's just me but something like a Bad Monkey/TS/SD-1 style drive is rubbish in that role, they sound so half - hearted and flat, yuck.
    clarkefan said:

Fair point well made :) I was thinking about the OP's looking for a light overdrive, and I was trying to think of an alternative.  Maybe it's just me but something like a Bad Monkey/TS/SD-1 style drive is rubbish in that role, they sound so half - hearted and flat, yuck.
    I don't like them for that either, which is why I suggested the Boss/Fender pedals - they're actually a proper amp emulation in a pedal, designed to then be amplified with a clean amp.

I'll be honest, I don't get the fuss about the Nobels either - whenever I've tried them they sound rather characterless and just a bit 'meh'... not positively bad, I just don't find anything inspiring about them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Gassage said:
    For those amps, you want a Rangemaster style treble boost.

+1. Throbak Strangemaster will do the job....if you can find one.
    Gassage said:
    Only if you want ear-piercing shrill treble at any volume below where the amp will break up.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Gassage said:

Nope. Only work into loud warm amps like plexis.

For the OP I'd say a Subdecay liquid sunshine if you have humbuckers or the Nobels if you use single coils.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    The Bad Monkey is discontinued now so it would have to be s/h  .   Bear in mind when listening on youtube whatever pedal you get is dependent on what you use it with so only use that as a rough guide .   It would be interesting to know how you get on .
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Recently bought a Boss Blues Driver BD2 and am very happy with it. Reasonably smooth and warm sounding overdrive for around £80, and built like a tank.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frownfrown Frets: 32
    How about a MXR Custom Badass 78? Plenty o’ crunch...
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    edited January 2018
    You want an overdrive pedal.  There are tons.  

A Boss SD1 or BD2 are both safe buys.   They are even more affordable second hand.
    pedal fiend
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Since you are looking for the sound of an amp having the front end goosed, you are best served with a pedal containing a valve. Blackstar HT Drive goes from 'is it on' to 'wow that gets a nice squeal' when you dig it.
    Downside is the size/weight and the separate special power supply. Upside is that it's musical and versatile as well as giving you a touch sensitive response.