Customs day....

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited January 2018 in Guitar
Nope. Not the buggers who take their cut on bloody everything. The good kind. The Les Paul kind....

(The irony of the "Only a Gibson is good enough" fretboard protector at the top of the pic is not lost here...)

My recent MIJ explorations led me to an interesting looking Orville Custom...with a rosewood board. In the past I haven't really bonded with ebony boards on Les Pauls, and have sold a previous Custom and a Limited Edition Pacific Reef for this reason. So a rosewood board custom looked worth it. A 94, I also liked the fact that someone as some point had ghosted hot rod flames into the top. It snuck in under CITES and is a nice lightweight Les Paul - and the neck and board feel fantastic.

In the middle is @foxyFuze 91 Custom. Well, my 91 Custom that I bought from @foxyFuze. Talking Les Pauls with Benny he swears by customs and standards from 90/91, and advised if one popped up that I should grab it. So, despite the aforementioned ebony board issue when this appeared in the classifieds it was a bit of a foregone conclusion. And I have none of the issues getting on with it that I expected. Fantastic, full fat, rawwwwwwk guitar. Lovely neck, and just the right amount of natural wear. Already a big favourite. 

Oh, and has obviously lost the scratch plate...

And whilst on a custom roll, and remembering GASing quite hard for a Burny Custom one popped up on the Facebook group. A 90ish (ish is about as good as you can get with some of the MIJ ages) model with ebony board and VH1s (not the original, first run VH1s unfortunately, these are the rebranded VH3 or 4) it's a stunner. A third of the cost of the Gibson it's comfortable, has a fast slick board and sustains like an absolute b@*%£$d! Definitely worth the punt!

It's a good day at the man cave.....
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2018
    before I could scroll down I was already thinking - Urinal...

http://i65.tinypic.com/4igg7s.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    before I could scroll down I was already thinking - Urinal...

http://i65.tinypic.com/4igg7s.jpg
    He only uses it for pissing about on

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited January 2018
    Customs are great, it 's that little extra "spank" that makes them shine for me - my 70 something Ebony Custom will never ever leave  - has a bit of history to it too and plenty of battle scars which it makes it a cool thing to own...

Nice guitars you have there, always wondered about the Orville/Burny options..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Oh man...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Whenever you post a pic @ellwood I feel quite sick :( 
    Awesome array of geetars as always. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

There's something wrong with that "Orange" that I can't put my finger on...

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Lovely, lovely haul there chap, which has the fattest neck, I never know with customs?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    From now on, thou shalt have thy name changed to @PoshHarrySeven. OK?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    photek said:
    Lovely, lovely haul there chap, which has the fattest neck, I never know with customs?
    Cheers chief! The Burny has the nicest neck, with the Gibson a very very close second. The Orville has a relatively thin neck, but it is nice and comfortable.

Come and try them out!
    Am pretty sure @HarrySeven remains utterly unique and there is no way I could be a patch on the original!
  • So...it's the 9th day of the new year and you've already spunked all your Xmas card money and vouchers on new guitars? You spend quicker than my ex wife did! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22813
    I really like the look of the Burny - and isn't it quite unusual to get one with an ebony board?

I can't get used to Customs with rosewood boards, I've no objection at all sound- or feel-wise, it just doesn't look right even if the colour's dark.  I had an LP Custom Lite for a while and the rosewood board was a definite factor in getting shot of it.  But horses for courses...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So...it's the 9th day of the new year and you've already spunked all your Xmas card money and vouchers on new guitars? You spend quicker than my ex wife did! 
    No. Not true.

On old guitars :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really need a trip to the cave... but it'll definitely cost me! :(

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ellwood said:
    So...it's the 9th day of the new year and you've already spunked all your Xmas card money and vouchers on new guitars? You spend quicker than my ex wife did! 
    No. Not true.

You quoted a post with "spunked" and "ex wife" in and didn't make any obvious jokes?

You clearly spend too much time searching for guitars to buy. It's affected your brain
    ellwood said:
    No. Not true.

You quoted a post with "spunked" and "ex wife" in and didn't make any obvious jokes?

You clearly spend too much time searching for guitars to buy. It's affected your brain
    Cum on now, it’s not that bad. I mean it’s not like my sense of humour has been divorced just because I have bought a couple of guitars....

• Intersting thread!! I have a 1990 custom too, what do you reckon the pick of the MIJ's are ??
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

One day, I will clear up a few misconceptions and reveal the full extent of the H7 stash. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

Intersting thread!! I have a 1990 custom too, what do you reckon the pick of the MIJ's are ??
    So far...the Burny. The Gibson is better...but not sure it’s three times the price better!

One day, I will clear up a few misconceptions and reveal the full extent of the H7 stash. ;)

Please do. It’s a huge amount of pressure to keep living up to these comparisons!!