Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a guitar that you would not like to play?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
For me that guitar is the late Rory Gallagher's Strat. I saw the guitar, displayed in a glass case, several times. I love the sounds Rory coaxed out of it. Truly iconic, yet I see it on album sleeves, videos etc. The one guitar I would not like to play...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

The Bonnie Raitt strat. Apparently it has a standard scale length but a narrower nut. I have average thickness fingers and I am pretty sure I'd hate it!

(This sprung to mind because there was a question about neck widths last week, and I was idly thinking along these lines.)

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don’t like playing anyone else’s guitars, at all. I never have. It’s just this weird thing I’ve got..
    For the purpose of this thread, I’ll agree with @Rocker on Rory’s strat. Saw him play it quite a few times. Massive fan. I’d just feel so unworthy..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Anything with dark yellow binding, it just looks unhygienic.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything in andertons, mainly due to the craptin.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    I don’t like playing anyone else’s guitars, at all. I never have. It’s just this weird thing I’ve got..

Me too. Although it depends on who the other person is. I have one friend whose guitars are filthy.   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    It really pisses me off that Robert Trujillo has Jaco Pastorius' Bass of Doom. If anyone should have it, it's Jaco's Son.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Rocker said:
    For me that guitar is the late Rory Gallagher's Strat. I saw the guitar, displayed in a glass case, several times. I love the sounds Rory coaxed out of it. Truly iconic, yet I see it on album sleeves, videos etc. The one guitar I would not like to play...
    Nope, I'll play anything.

Mostly really f**king badly :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    usedtobe said:

Me too. Although it depends on who the other person is. I have one friend whose guitars are filthy.   
    To be fair, I generally prefer playing other people’s guitars, than having other people play mine.... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    A Les Paul! ;)
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    edited January 2018

I'd be quite happy to have a go at playing any guitar, even Rory's Strat, SRV's Number 1, the Peter Green-Gary Moore-Kirk Hammett Les Paul, etc.  In fact I'd be fascinated to know what they're actually like to play.

For me, the whole "not worthy" syndrome only kicks in at the thought of owning such a guitar.  It's the main reason I'm not keen on acquiring vintage guitars, because I feel they must have been owned by people who put them to much better use than I ever could.  So in a way I'm letting down not only the guitar itself but also the previous owners.

I do actually own one not-very-valuable vintage guitar, but I've had it long enough that the spirit of the previous owner has probably given up on me and buggered off into the void.  Or somewhere.

• I wouldn't want to play a pointy headed shred guitar in public, because it would raise expectations. But I'd be happy to play one in the privacy of my own home, behind closed doors.

It's not a competition.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    Headless bodyless guitars.  They just feel plain wrong.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I was once working in this flat, turns out the owner is Rowland Rivron's auntie and a very groovy old lady she is.  We had a chat about music and I told her I played a bit, in a band.  Just before I left she asked me if I would play something, and handed me a classical nylon strung guitar with a fretboard about six inches wide.  It's the story of my life, being in the unhappy position of desperately wanting to impress a lady and at the same time not having the faintest idea how to do it. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Anything with humbuckers.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    SRV's strat, it must play awful with them big old telephone wires for strings. 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Any strat
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Rocker said:
    I played it. It was a spooky and unexpectedly sad experience and I'd fully understand someone, specially a real fan, not fancying the idea. 

It had the original very gunky strings on and the action had gone rather high, so "play" isn't exactly the word.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    For me it would be Vai's Evo..... imagine trying to play for the love of God on it - it would probably lol via the pickups! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Vai's White Jem......EVO

If I pick it up it'll have action you could drive a bus under, wont stay in tune and feel like it's been soaked in superglue.
    He'd pick it up and remind me that I'm now TWICE as bad as I thought I was.

"Never meet your heroes."
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Hollow bodies. Have played a few, never owned one. Why - just why? Do I want to play in a 50s rock n roll band? No! Do I want to sit on a stool in Ronnie Scott’s and make jazz noodling treble free ditties? No! Do I want feedback every time I turn towards my amp? No! Do I want a guitar that looks like it has Mickey Mouse ears? No!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom