why sell a book for 1p?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
I just went to look for a music book on Amazon. I was tempted to buy it yesterday in central London but it was £28 and I didn't bother. I found a bookstore selling a damaged copy for 1p (!) (plus £2.80 postage I hasten to add). I can't quite see why it would be worth storing, then packaging and sending a book out when you are only asking 1p for it!

I know what the issue is likely to be, I have borrowed a library copy before and the binding is poor, the pages tend to fall out. For 1p I thought I'd take a punt and hopefully most of it is there! I wouldn't sell a book for 1p, I'd toss it in the bin!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    The book is 1p, they make £2 on the postage. If you have a RM PPI account which most sellers do the money is in the postage. Sell 500 items a week for £5 and make £1000 on the postage 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    The book is 1p, they make £2 on the postage. If you have a RM PPI account which most sellers do the money is in the postage. Sell 500 items a week for £5 and make £1000 on the postage 
    and then you can claim back that PPI with gladstone brookes and get an extra £10,000
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    So, the book didn't show up. I plugged in the tracking number that they gave and Royal mail doesn't recognise it. I told them and they just said "oh, it must have got lost in the post" - Eh?? with a tracking number???????? Maybe you can't make a profit from 1p books after all. Bastards.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    axisus said:
    So, the book didn't show up. I plugged in the tracking number that they gave and Royal mail doesn't recognise it. I told them and they just said "oh, it must have got lost in the post" - Eh?? with a tracking number???????? Maybe you can't make a profit from 1p books after all. Bastards.
    I’m guessing it won’t have been sent by a tracked service at that price, just 2nd class parcel post. I’ve had the same issue with stuff bought from Amazon but supplied from Chinese sellers. Sure they’ll give you a tracking number but it’s useless and when it does finally turn up the parcel is clearly marked “no tracking”. It’s up to the vendor to chase it up though, the contract for the postage is between them and the postal people.....keep on their case and ask for a refund. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Whitecat said:
    I did read that after you posted it, very interesting.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited January 2018
    In my endless search for "the knowledge" I must have acquired almost every guitar book ever written. So my entire collection must now be worth £2.89 :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Depends on what service the seller is using.
    All Click and Drop packet/parcel services now come with free "tracking", however it isn't end to end. It only gets scanned when delivered.
    If you put the tracking number in and it hasn't been scanned/delivered you get an unrecognised message or "An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item "
    It isn't fool-proof though - I have had more lost and delayed parcels since switching over to C+D than the whole of the year prior.