Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help with Vintage 1975 stratocaster (Frets too high?)

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Definitely think that neck is a MIJ jobbie due to the fret markers

I hate to ask but what did you pay fella?
    I have a CBS rosewood neck bought brand new by me from Soho Soundhouse, who were the UK's biggest Fender dealer at that time;

http://i64.tinypic.com/21jty82.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey guys I know this is not all original at all and would have been a lot more if was. This is the closest to a nice beaten up 70s I could get. Will get some more pics up.
    nothing wrong with a non -original players grade guitar , so don't be 'embarrassed' by it - often with changes and a good set-up they can end up performing far better than a clean original example - so you still get the old mojo character but in many ways correct all the things Fender got wrong with that era
    Thanks for this. I like your way of looking at it :)
  • Hey guys I know this is not all original at all and would have been a lot more if was. This is the closest to a nice beaten up 70s I could get. Will get some more pics up.
    nothing wrong with a non -original players grade guitar , so don't be 'embarrassed' by it - often with changes and a good set-up they can end up performing far better than a clean original example - so you still get the old mojo character but in many ways correct all the things Fender got wrong with that era
    Thanks for this. I like your way of looking at it :)
    You want to be sure you’ve got what you paid for though. Was the neck described as original? Have you taken it off to check the heel stamps?
  • You want to be sure you’ve got what you paid for though. Was the neck described as original? Have you taken it off to check the heel stamps?
    Hey only just got it in post this morning. Will be taking it for s setup this weekend at local guitar shop and will get chap to take a look as woundn't know where to start.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    @deanbutler don't be disheartened by the comments, I think it's a great looking and will be after a decent setup - a good player too.

There is something about scruffed up 70's Strats that gets me all woozy - I love 'em - this one for me is in a good colour too and IMO the right combo with the RW neck.

If you knew about the non-originality and the price was right and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then that's all that matters at the end of the day

• welshboyo said:
    @deanbutler don't be disheartened by the comments, I think it's a great looking and will be after a decent setup - a good player too.

There is something about scruffed up 70's Strats that gets me all woozy - I love 'em - this one for me is in a good colour too and IMO the right combo with the RW neck.

If you knew about the non-originality and the price was right and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then that's all that matters at the end of the day

Hey Welshboyo. Thanks buddy for those words. Good to hear some good things. To be honest I don't mind everyone speaking there mind as want to find out what I purchased. Either way I love the look and those massive filled in holes on the neck I actually love as makes it look like its been in the war. I would love a totally original desired guitar but they start at 3x the price of this one and mean start and go up to the stars....
  • You want to be sure you’ve got what you paid for though. Was the neck described as original? Have you taken it off to check the heel stamps?
    Hey only just got it in post this morning. Will be taking it for s setup this weekend at local guitar shop and will get chap to take a look as woundn't know where to start.
    No worries pal. Sorry not meaning to give you the third degree! I don’t have any problems with non-original parts as long as they’re described as what they are.

I think the reason you’ve had a good response here is because vintage guitars are a minefield and there are a lot of charlatans out there. Hope the guitar works out well for you. I have a 70s sunburst Strat that’s pretty beat up and I love it.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    peteri said:

Massive, massive recommendation for Feline Guitars in Croydon, they've regretted 3 vintage guitars for me and each one has been superb.

What a fantastic idea - on your behalf, someone to take on board the angst and absolve you of all emotional negativity re. purchasing a guitar.

How long have Feline been offering a professional regretting service?

;)
    I wonder how much it would cost to take on your guitar regret??
    No worries pal. Sorry not meaning to give you the third degree! I don’t have any problems with non-original parts as long as they’re described as what they are.

I think the reason you’ve had a good response here is because vintage guitars are a minefield and there are a lot of charlatans out there. Hope the guitar works out well for you. I have a 70s sunburst Strat that’s pretty beat up and I love it.
    Hey Sheguitar its all cool. I would like to get to the bottom of it and know if body and neck are original. Dont mind it being modified as long as I can say its a 1975/1976 strat.
  • Do you like the way it plays and can you live with what you paid? That's all that matters.

The year it was made means absolutely nothing if it plays like a dog
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Sorry if all these came across as negative - the other pictures tell a much better story!

And I can recommend Jon at Feline for his regretting service, he basically sits you down and shows you what you should have bought!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The finish on the body looks original. It's poly - you can tell from the chipping and wear, and the way it scuffs - and that target burst is absolutely mid-70s in colour and contrast. 

If it really was a 1/3 of the price of an all original, then I'd say that was more than fair.. I've seen 70s bodies go for that on their own..
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    peteri said:
    Sorry if all these came across as negative - the other pictures tell a much better story!

And I can recommend Jon at Feline for his regretting service, he basically sits you down and shows you what you should have bought!
    Okay the regret joke is getting a bit vintage now
    But fretwork is our area of expertise, as @peteri knows (just working on hIs 1969 tele right now)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    That's pretty nice. A real used&abused&modified guitar looks so much better than the fakey relics.

A fret level and setup will get that playing a treat I'm sure.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:

I have a CBS rosewood neck bought brand new by me from Soho Soundhouse, who were the UK's biggest Fender dealer at that time;

http://i64.tinypic.com/21jty82.jpg
    Wow, what year is it? I don't think I've ever seen such a sharp transition on a Fender Tele neck.
  • This red stamp on neck looking like a good or bad sign?

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    peteri said:

In terms of getting the frets sorted - massive, massive recommendation for Feline Guitars in Croydon, they've regretted 3 vintage guitars for me and each one has been superb.

With the best will in the world I don't think he'll be going there, have you seen the photos?

Sun and palm trees, I don't think he's from around these parts.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    This red stamp on neck looking like a good or bad sign?
    Good. The red ink could well be the usual Fender date stamp, but applied clumsily too high up. If so and the second last digit is a 5 or a 6, then it's a '75 or '76 neck.

http://www.strat-central.com/70sstrats/

I'm sure it's an original neck, it doesn't look like a MIJ at all to me - especially not the dots, which have the distinctive ring around the edge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• deanbutlerdeanbutler Frets: 6
    edited January 2018
    SNAKEBITE said:
    peteri said:

In terms of getting the frets sorted - massive, massive recommendation for Feline Guitars in Croydon, they've regretted 3 vintage guitars for me and each one has been superb.

With the best will in the world I don't think he'll be going there, have you seen the photos?

Sun and palm trees, I don't think he's from around these parts.

The pictures are from the Ebay listing, guitar was in California. I'm in sunny Buckinghamshire in UK

PS this is my prefered local shop https://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/
    Think the chap Phil there really knows his stuff.

• deanbutlerdeanbutler Frets: 6
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    This red stamp on neck looking like a good or bad sign?
    Good. The red ink could well be the usual Fender date stamp, but applied clumsily too high up. If so and the second last digit is a 5 or a 6, then it's a '75 or '76 neck.

http://www.strat-central.com/70sstrats/

I'm sure it's an original neck, it doesn't look like a MIJ at all to me - especially not the dots, which have the distinctive ring around the edge.
    Oooh this sounds alot better. Fingers crossed. Looking at it more closely I think last two digits are 56 but cant see far enough down to say for sure.

Also the number on the 3 screw plate on the back of the neck says 660312. I looked this up on a website and comes out as a 75. So if second to last digit on neck is 5 then that makes it look pretty good that two parts are genuine 1975s?

Where on the body can you find out what the date is?