Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'Mint' condition.....

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
What do people believe 'Mint condition' means?

I am looking for something along the lines of a Jap LP and spotted this. My spirits soared when I saw the phrase 'Mint condition' and then were dashed when I zoomed in to the photos.

The headstock is scuffed, the front of the headstock is faded, there are chips and dings. Am I missing something? Is this an early Yamaha attempt at a custom relic??

I couldn't be bothered to put him straight to be honest.

Mint condition SL500
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't get me started.

The best ones are when people put in mint/excellent condition with only little wear n marks. 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    If somthing is described as mint then i would expect it be exactly like it would have been if new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Well he might have been from the north where the term "mint" just means "great"  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited January 2018
    Just two of the photo's. There is clear wear on the bottom of the body and a sizeable ding over to the right.

https://i.imgur.com/ywvooPF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/L14O61H.jpg
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 335
    Yes, agreed, mint means as new. He is probably not breaking any eBay rules though because it is in the ‘used’ category.
    I love my brick
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Specsavers?
  • jrc2806jrc2806 Frets: 64
    To me mint = immaculate (i.e. as new from the factory - not sure about relics etc. though....).

To be honest just underlines how important good images are when buying/selling!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Another thing that bugs me is the used gear (especially cameras)  dealers who rate their stuff "Exc++", "Exc +++",  "Exc+++++++, Mint ", etc?

So, whereas the inexperienced buyer would think Exc++ means "flawless", in dealer-speak it means " pretty rough"
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Mint should mean mint - effectively factory, spotless or other adjectives, that effectively means untouched, unmolested, unmarked - so barely played - anything else below that is near mint, or worse than that as appropriate

Anything approaching the wear, tear, fade that is equivalent to a Gibson VOS finish can't be MINT 

plus you can't have mint for its age - ie on a 30 year guitar - that would have to be 'clean for a 30 year old' or 'very good condition for a 30 year old'

Near mint would probably just be minor pick markings etc

After that it is hard to fully evaluate as different players accept different levels of wear - no matter what adjective you use
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I do chuckle often when I see "mint condition apart from......" then a list of scratches/dings/flaws follows. Well chuckle if I'm not really interested in buying it. If I am I might grumble under my breath and shake my head.
  • Mint means as it came out of the mint/factory.

If it came out of the factory with damage though surely it can still be classed as mint condition?

What annoys me is when people sell things on Ebay and call them New when they aren't. If selling things as New are you opening yourself up to distance selling regulations (or whatever the term is) so have to accept a return if the buyer changes their mind?
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    If selling things as New are you opening yourself up to distance selling regulations (or whatever the term is) so have to accept a return if the buyer changes their mind?
    I'd agree with this.  Describing things as "mint" when they clearly are nothing of the sort is more of a problem for the seller than the buyer (except perhaps for the few seconds between reading the description and seeing the pictures).

If you bought that guitar you'd be quite within your rights to send it back at seller's expense due to it clearly not being mint.  You do wonder about the sanity/intelligence of a seller who calls something "mint" when it self-evidently isn't.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Didn't we do ths a couple of months ago?

To me "mint" menas that if you took the guitar described as "mint" and placed it next to a brand-new same-model guitar from either the retailer or the importer there would be no difference in condition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:

To me "mint" menas that if you took the guitar described as "mint" and placed it next to a brand-new same-model guitar from either the retailer or the importer there would be no difference in condition.
    Its all generally repeated in one way or another almost every week/month...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    If I see something described as Mint then alarm bells sound in my head and I assume there on that I am dealing with a teller of small untruths.
  • Maybe it tastes of mint
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    ...or there's a hole in it....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    scrumhalf said:

I’m comtemplating a ‘Should I Top Wrap my Mint Les Paul and buy a Katana?’ thread....
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Well aye! That's canny propa mint that like wor pet! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you