Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Peanuts in my shoe !

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2018
    On the subject of being brought food... Our cats, from times past, and one in particular, would often bring back mice, sometimes dead, oftentimes perfectly alive, drop them at our feet, and look up as if to say "well, you feed us, so we brought something special back for you, go on, eat up ! ".  Or, occasionally, look at you in that way that only cats can, "this one's alive, so you better get practicing catching your own dinner, that's why I worked hard all day to get this for you, so you had better get on with it, chop, chop!"

A small distraction usually saw the mouse extracted from the situation, along with the pretence of gratitude, and a returned favour of some food for our maternal mog.  Always enhanced if the mouse was brought back unharmed to encourage the opportunity to return them to the wild rather than dispose of the sad corpses, or even worse, having to dispatch them humanely ourselves.  BTW, I am only too aware of the dichotomy of protecting life and having cats as companions.  

Anyhoo, catching live mice was always interesting, and usually played out at the most inopportune moment too.  And then there's the story of the rabbit with a star on it's head.  But I digress...

Thankfully peanuts are a bit less controversial  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    (continued from the OP)

So, loving a mystery, and a bit of sleuthing (our old R.E. teacher kept wonderfully effective order in class by delivering spellbinding orations of Sherlock Holmes), I put the peanuts on one side for the day.  Yesterday evening I returned them back to my shoe, covered by a sock as it had been the night before.
    You don't keep seeing this guy on your way to work do you ?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    The story so far...
    So I put my shoes on just before leaving yesterday, walked across the room, and, hmmm, that's a bit uncomfortable...
    Lumpy, bumpy feeling.
    Took one shoe off, and that's why ~ five peanuts languishing inside !

Uncooked stylee, still covered in that thin red membrane, so they must be meant for the birds.  No birds in here.  No peanuts in the bird feeder outside either.  (We normally put bread out in the winter to help our feathered friends through the tough times, but no peanuts right now.)

So a bit of a mystery unfurls !
    (continued from the OP)

So, loving a mystery, and a bit of sleuthing (our old R.E. teacher kept wonderfully effective order in class by delivering spellbinding orations of Sherlock Holmes), I put the peanuts on one side for the day.  Yesterday evening I returned them back to my shoe, covered by a sock as it had been the night before.

Maybe our mystery house guest(s) would be gracious enough to bring me enough to make a peanut butter sandwich?  I do love peanut butter, so that might worm their way into my heart and let them stay.

Then it was just a matter of waiting for the reveal...   :-SS
    "So, it's all set up, what happens next?" I hear you all screaming in anticipation...
      (or not, as the case maybe)

Peanuts back in the shoe, and off to bed. ~  I awoke from a dream of something climbing up and over the furniture around me, maybe not surprising given the circumstances.  Was it real sounds waking me, or just a dream ?

Torch on, so not to disturb things too much, and go and check my shoes.  Where once were five, now there were only two peanuts !  No sign of the intruder, but things were afoot  (a foot ! ~ oh well then, suit yourselves).  I have to admit to feeling a little cheated, why no more votive offerings*, and where have the missing peanuts gone?

(*A votive deposit or votive offering is one or more objects displayed or deposited, without the intention of recovery or use, in a sacred place for broadly religious purposes. Such items are a feature of modern and ancient societies and are generally made in order to gain favour with supernatural forces.) 

Back off to sleep then, and wait for the morning light.

NO peanuts in my shoe, well that restores the balance of universal harmony I guess.  No evidence of the intruder either.  So just supposition left then Holmes.

MICE ~ well, it was going to be mice, wasn't it?

We have a semi resident house mouse, tiny little thing, we often hear it around at night, and sometimes see it during the day too.  Sits and watches us sometimes.  It probably comes in from the house next door.  Old Grade II listed houses, which used to be one, until badly converted, with interconnecting floor voids I suspect.  It has been around more in the really cold weather, can't say I blame it to be honest.  It would be better than a few degrees above outside temperature if our landlady would fulfil her legal obligations and get the malfunctioning boiler fixed, then we could all be warm.

My best guess is that it uses us as a way into the surrounding gardens, collected dropped peanuts from a bird feeder, and either brought them back here to store (which would be odd as my shoes are out in the floor, not packed away in a secluded spot), or was using my shoe as a temporary staging post, and was always intending to retrieve them and move them somewhere more secure.  I wonder if we will come across a stash somewhere else later on?

Anyway, this whole episode caused a few chuckles, and more than a little wonderment chez Music, all at a rather bad time, so nature created some much needed uplifting entertainment.

Was I wrong in hoping the little blighters might bring me a banquet over a few days ?

FYI ~ I used to live trap them and put them out, but we just live in peace with them now, as long as they don't get up to too much mischief !

• Leave shoes in the usual place, but put a light dusting of talc around them and check for footprints?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    They like the smell.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nobody got my reference ?  ....or was it just rather unfunny ?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Emp_Fab said:
    I didn’t get it. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    Emp_Fab said:
    Got it, didn't get it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Peanuts in a shoe? must be sneakers
    tae be or not tae be
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    hootsmon said:
    Peanuts in a shoe? must be sneakers
    What can I say Hoots ?   Just a well earned    X_X

Your earlier PM to me was spot on about the mice though, cheers :)

Emp_Fab said:
    Not sure I got it either Emp.

I'm guessing it's about groundhogs, ground nuts, ground squirrels etc ?

Your talent is wasted on us  ;)

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    At least you didn't Peenuts
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    On the subject of being brought food... Our cats, from times past, and one in particular, would often bring back mice, sometimes dead, oftentimes perfectly alive, drop them at our feet, and look up as if to say "well, you feed us, so we brought something special back for you, go on, eat up ! ".  Or, occasionally, look at you in that way that only cats can, "this one's alive, so you better get practicing catching your own dinner, that's why I worked hard all day to get this for you, so you had better get on with it, chop, chop!"

A small distraction usually saw the mouse extracted from the situation, along with the pretence of gratitude, and a returned favour of some food for our maternal mog.  Always enhanced if the mouse was brought back unharmed to encourage the opportunity to return them to the wild rather than dispose of the sad corpses, or even worse, having to dispatch them humanely ourselves.  BTW, I am only too aware of the dichotomy of protecting life and having cats as companions.  

Anyhoo, catching live mice was always interesting, and usually played out at the most inopportune moment too.  And then there's the story of the rabbit with a star on it's head.  But I digress...

Thankfully peanuts are a bit less controversial  ;)

could be worse . . .

https://imgur.com/gallery/uTgG6 

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Utterly astonishing @Paul_C , a single WOW is nowhere near sufficient...

For anyone reading this thread, do yourself a MASSIVE FAVOUR and click on Paul's link above.
    The short picture story will restore your faith in what it means to be alive, and our place in the world, IMHO.

Thanks Paul, do you mind me asking how on earth you stumbled across such a gem ?

• Wow!!

And a bit scary.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    Well, I searched for ages for a shot of Bill Murray breaking a pencil on his bedside table but I failed, so Ned Ryerson it had to be.  (Groundhog Day fillum).  It was supposed to be a mirror to peanuts reappearing in your shoe.  i.e. are you just reliving the same day over and over again ?
    Poor penguins :-(
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    Utterly astonishing @Paul_C , a single WOW is nowhere near sufficient...

For anyone reading this thread, do yourself a MASSIVE FAVOUR and click on Paul's link above.
    The short picture story will restore your faith in what it means to be alive, and our place in the world, IMHO.

Thanks Paul, do you mind me asking how on earth you stumbled across such a gem ?

I browse Imgur a lot :)

I'm fairly sure that I found Imgur after someone here linked to a picture of their guitar on there !
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Leave the peanuts in the shoes, pour in a little chocolate,give a little shake and they will come out a "Treat"
    i'll get my coat