What do people think of Marshall 2061X heads?

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
Anyone played one?  Are they any good?  Are they loud enough to gig with in pubs un-mic'ed?

Any opinions welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Bloody great amps, way loud enough to play in a pub with a decent cab, I used to use a 4-12 mainly.
    I used mine on big stages and it's plenty loud enough unless you need crystal cleans, they sound incredible with a Klon or fuzz face pushing them
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    As koss59 said, yes if you don't want cleans - or a really heavy fuzz-distortion type sound. Great for vintage and classic rock midrange overdriven tones with or without a pedal, but don't expect to get the big clean or crunch tone of a 50W Marshall but quieter.

The guitarist in my band had a Cornell 18/20 head a long time ago, sounded great but wasn't loud enough. (There again a JTM45 wasn't quite loud enough either!) I've owned three different original Marshall 20-watters too, and I could never get the sound I wanted out of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i just read the marshall site on this...looks good.

But why for the love of god did someone not proof read the description on it. They first say 2 EL84 tubes, then they say how at loud volumes you get tube distortion from the EL34's...i know the specs say EL84's but that.s a pretty big error to have in the description...anyway rant over!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Cheers for that chaps - sounds exactly like what I want.  

I'm a Les Paul-straight into the amp kind of guy and we play a lot of classic rock (Cream, ZZ Top, Thin Lizzy, Free) in The Test Pilots.
    Here's a vid of me when I had one
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds great that mind - are you going straight into the amp?  What speakers are in the cab too?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ^^ Nice playing there :)
    Cheers chaps :) it had a klon pushing it. Speakers were two heritage g12h-30 and two g12m20 which I'm pretty sure that's the only one mic'd so that's the one you can hear and was my favourite of the two
  • When I first heard that, I thought, 'oh, that tone...'

Then I kept listening and realised that it was THAT tone - so fat, crunchy and just... I hate using words like this, but 'chewy' - I don't know what word would be better.

Very nice!
  • Which video is this Koss59? It won't load for me. Is it the Royal Hall one?
    Yes mate, one of the best classic rock tones I ever got with that set up.
  • Awesome tone!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    I hate using words like this, but 'chewy' - I don't know what word would be better.
    bloom

chirp

swirl

to TGP!

Seriously, though, yeah I thought it sounded really good. I like the heritage g12h30s, I haven't tried the heritage g12m though. Obviously the playing helps a lot, too.

Sounds like the G12-65 I have in my 1 x 12" cab will work great with the 2061X.

Wonder what my 2 x 10" with Eminence 1058s in would sound like?  (strokes chin)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    koss59 said:
    Cheers chaps :) it had a klon pushing it. Speakers were two heritage g12h-30 and two g12m20 which I'm pretty sure that's the only one mic'd so that's the one you can hear and was my favourite of the two
    I think so from the tone, too. The G12H-30 would sound deeper and less middy - which I think (personally) this amp needs, so mixing them in the cab works well if you like the G12M sound.

It's a great tone, but *for me*, too boxy and buzzy, and without enough of the real heavy 'roar' that a Marshall should have. Strictly personal taste though, I know a lot of people would regard it as perfect. Absolutely not a criticism of your playing and tone choice!

And it's a very good illustration of what the amp really sounds like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Chewy is a sound description that completely baffles me.

It's strange, right from the very beginning I intrinsically understood all the usual ones - Fat (lots of low end girth), Phat (Lots of low end girth as described by a tool), Sweet (vintage sounding treble, not in your face clarity), Thick (Big low mids), Harsh (Nasty upper harmonics), Scooped (All bass and treble), Thin (Not enough low end), Marshall Roar, Vox Chime, Fender Twang, Vocal midrange, grind, punchy, squashed...

They all immediately make enough sense to me that I think we can usually converse using these terms and be on the same page.

But Chewy? What the fuck does that mean? I have literally not a clue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I would say chewy describes more of how it feels than what it sounds like, maybe people who say it sounds chewy know what amps that are cranked feel like to play so relegate the sound to it or something? I would say the feel of chewiness is because of natural tube compression from the output section working.
    I know what amps that are cranked feel like to play though. Maybe I just don't masticate correctly so I can't see how it relates.  :P
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Grest stuff @koss59 have a Wow!
    oh, I did mean to say - the vid sounds great!