Geddy Lee Jazz - value? alternatives?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
I love my Geddy Lee - I bough tit new sometime around 2006/7, it has the perfect really slim neck and with the audere preamp it sounds fantastic.
I haven't played bass in a band for years and I can't imagine doing so again full time so it seems a bit of a waste to keep it just for the occasional dep gig and recording if I could get something with a similar feel and looks when I could put the money into my amp GAS fund.

So bass players - how much do you think it's worth in todays market and is there something else that I could replace it with?    or should I just keep it because it's cool :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    I like them a lot personally, but I've heard there are massive inherent flaws with the electronics that can lead to the bass bursting into flames spontaneously - usually when it's about six or seven years from new. I think I know how to fix it, but I'd prefer to have ownership of the bass first so it's not someone else's instrument I'm risking.

I'll give you a tenner for it? :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    The last few on basschat have gone for £435-£460 if that helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The last few on basschat have gone for £435-£460 if that helps.
    Thanks - at that price I might as well keep it as an alternative wouldn't be cheaper enough to warrant the saving and hassle.  
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Yeah, it's not a good time to be selling gear!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    edited August 2013
    Keep it. You'll lose too much if you sell it and it's better than anything you can get for less, if you like what it does.

I did vaguely wonder about selling my Rick 4001 and buying something which would do pretty much the same job for a tenth of the money, when I was 'between bands'.

But I'm glad I didn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Yes I'm cool with the idea of keeping it - It was just a moment of madness. Thanks for stopping an impulse sale lol

It is a shame to have such a nice bass when I can't imagine ever wanting a full time bass gig but for dep's and recording it's nice to know it's there and there's a dozen+ guitars that never get gigged I can't imagine parting with either so they can all keep each other company and wait their turn...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    edited August 2013
    No, it's not a shame. Life is too short to play lesser gear when you have something nice, even if it's only at home.

I have a Rickenbacker 660/12 guitar that I almost never play too. I'd sell it if I really needed the money, but for now it's just a nice thing to have. Also if I do ever need an electric 12-string for anything, I know I already have the best one so there's no need to even think about it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom