What's the TC Flashback Delay like

What's Hot
Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443
I have nearly finished my pedal board, got a tuner, clean boost and overdrive now just need a delay pedal. The TC Flashback seems to pop up quite cheap and looks like it has the mod controls I like. 
Anyone got one, what's it like ?
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    What in particular you trying to do with delay ? 
    In front , in loop ? 
    Toneprints , the comprehensive editor and good out of box standard delay types from tape, digital etc etc  - very versatile imho and vfm particularly s/h 
    Ive got the x4 and atm its keeping a timeline quiet .. 
  • It's good if generic. I would suggest the canyon instead

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    I thought the analogue and tape models were ( very)  poor, although looks like others did too as they've upgraded them for Flashback II. I don't think the II has the strum tempo feature, you'd need an external tap switch. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    I have the flashback mini which is great although the strum tempo thing I don't find too useful. Currently ousted from my board by a Trex Replay which has tap tempo and is pretty compact. The long term plan is to put the FB mini back on the board as well as the replay but I need more power.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443
    I basically need a country type slap back and some normal Edge type delays, don't wanna spend more than £55 or so thought really 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Danny1969 said:
    I basically need a country type slap back and some normal Edge type delays, don't wanna spend more than £55 or so thought really 
    it'll do both of those but suggest you check out the toneprints page , youtube videos etc  and listen - one mans tape delay is another mans TC 2290 ..

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    edited January 2018
    I have one and I love it. There are loads of toneprints for it as well. Most of the time I have it set to the Alvin Lee slapback toneprint. It'll do Edge stuff too as there's a switch for setting the repeat time interval. I got mine s/h for around £75.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    It’s pretty good for the money - and all the Tone Prints!
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I had the x4 version, although I believe the delay voicings are the same. Personally I liked it's sound a lot, warmer and more interesting than my DD3. I've moved onto a DD500 now beacuse I wanted the extra functionality, but the Flashback gives it a run for the money soundwise in stereo mode.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    If you go for the mini it doesn't do the dotted 8th + quarter notes for the U2 thing like the big one and you have to search for a toneprint with dotted 8th or you'll have to make one yourself on the editor.
    Those are the only things I miss from the original big one.
    I have the mini now and I usually have the DM3+ toneprint that sounds fantastic to my ears.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    They are a good versatile pedal that can be picked up pretty cheap used.  They are worth the money for the Tone Print feature alone. 

You shouldn’t compare them to Strymon or other top end delays, they’re not in that price point.  I have one complementing my Boss DD500.  
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27149
    I had the Alter Ego version and found the sounds good but the controls and "rhythm switch" not so good. Though FWIW I've never got on with 3-knob type delays but adore the posh stuff like the Timefactor and Echosystem
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
    edited January 2018
    I’d second the ‘good but generic’ comment earlier. I’ve got the full size V1. 
    Only real gripe for the money is that there’s no LED indicator for tempo. The audio tap isn’t difficult to use once you get used to it (though having to hold down the footswitch for a couple of seconds in order to activate might be an annoyance), and you do have a dotted 8th option.

onboard presets are ok, though there are some very good sounding Toneprints such as the Proguitarshop take on the Echoplex.

Essentially though what this pedal did was give me a hankering for an El Capistan, as I only found myself using the tape models and wishing there was more control over modulation, subdivisions, compound echo etc - I’m aware this possibly isn’t a fair comparison, as I already also had the Boss Space Echo to compare it with, and that’s not to take away from the flexibility and sound quality of the Flashback, especially if you pick one up second hand.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    I too had the Alter Ego but found it dirtied my signal too much, so traded it all in for a Hardwire DL-8 which has a lot more pristine repeats to my larger ears. Although, i do miss the dotted 8th + quarter notes option (but not a lot)
  • Another +1 for it sounding generic. If I recall if seemed to be either dominating or total mush with distortion as well... It's been a long time since I have owned one though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • They are okay, I only ever used the 2290 setting when I owned one. I much prefer the Hardwire DL-8, the Modulated setting is a thing of beauty for both clean and dirty sounds. They can be picked up for around the same price 2nd hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    @Danny1969 ;Got one (TC electronic flashback) going spare for £not-a-lot, if you’re still interested. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443
    fandango said:
    @Danny1969 ;Got one (TC electronic flashback) going spare for £not-a-lot, if you’re still interested. 
    Yeah I'm interested. I'm going to Tenerife for a week tomorrow, if I have any money left when I get back I'll be very interested
    www.2020studios.co.uk