Rock Smith

Has anyone got this game?? Is it as good as they say on the tin??

I don't have any games consoles and so if it is as good as they say I was going to ebay a 2nd hand Xbox 360 or PS3 and then get the games and adapters.

Any reviews would be great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I've got it on PS3 and it does really work and it is very good. 

The 2014 edition is significantly improved so don't get the old one.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    i borrowed the original, its pretty good, it is interesting that it takes an opposite approach to traditional learning in that instead of slowing a part down and playing it perfectly you start with a simpler part played at full speed until you can do it.

Unlike the guitar hero style games it doesnt penalise you if you play the full part when its only asking for a simplified one.

I find the chord diagrams a little hard to read but its prob just cos i havent played it enough yet.

If you combined this withy scrolling tab ala guitar pro it would be amazing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    edited March 2014
    I've seen a lot of people say that it will teach you a simplified version of a song. This is the default setting. However the riff repeater function is excellent now, you can put the difficulty up to max so you get all of the notes, and slow it down as much as you like keeping the original pitch. Also you can learn songs section by section. This is the 2014 version I'm talking about.
    tFB Trader
    Yes as far as I can tell at full difficulty you are playing the song as recorded. 

On 2014 it has stuff like Satch Boogie so the tracking must be pretty epic. 
  • GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    This is Brill, thanks guys :D
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I've got the 2013 PC version still sealed in it's box - not got around to opening it, was going to flip it on ebay this weekend!
  • I've got the Xbox version and also the PC version.  Highly recommend the PC version, then google search for "Rocksmith 2014 CDLC" - loads of extra songs available free of charge.

This site updates hourly with new songs.

• I have both the original PS3 version and the 2014 version on my Mac and both have positive and negative points.

The main problem with both games in my opinion is the same as their main advantage. You're given a scrolling screen with the frets you need to hit as the song plays in real time. When you hit them correctly, the game 'learns' that you're progressing, and adds more notes. This is great because you're learning the song at full speed. However, it adds the extra notes at what appear to be random times, so you're expecting a certain level and suddenly another turns up out of the blue. If you're good enough to handle this, good on you, but I'm not, not all the time.

And if you're taken aback and don't adjust in real time, then just as you think you're getting used to it, the game drops you back a level and all of a sudden there are fewer notes on screen again.

Both games have no idea of how tab should be presented - they put the bottom string at the top of the screen, as if you're sitting at a mirror, whereas the tab sheets we're all used to have the top string at the top of the lines. I got almost universally shocking scores and some horrific sounds until I worked this out. You can change the orientation, which I have, but I'm surprised that they're still doing it the 'wrong' way to start with.

I much prefer the new version as the way the game reacts to your learning is much improved. It can still be a bit inconsistent about what it thinks are the right places for a note. I've quit in frustration a few times because there's a truly tiny window for what it considers to be an accurate hit.

The arcade games on the 2013 version are vastly superior, though - the new ones are designed to look like they were made in the late 70s and the graphics/soundtracks are almost universally appalling imo. :-)

It's definitely worth a crack though, cos there are quite a few songs worth learning, and even for a lot of the ones you don't think you want to learn, you wind up enjoying anyway.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    tFB Trader
    You can crank the difficulty straight to maximum in the riff practice menu
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    My major problem with it is that the more I play the more I want that brown SG from the tutorial videos. Gibson and their subliminal advertising...