Going guitar amp shopping soon, which 30-50 watt rock amps shall I try ?!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited January 2018 in Amps
gonna try loads of Amps around the shops and hopefully see what works for me.

im looking for something with a good marshally style sound that is versatile enough to do nwobhm /crossover style stuff as well as less gainy crunchy garage rock stuff .
I'd like something simple to use , reliable and not too expensive or boutique . Practical size and wattage as I'm downsizing from a 2203 and 4x12 and I need a solo boost or lead channel .
I'll likely be testing in guitar guitar and pmt.
So far , from feedback on here I've started a list .

evh5150iii 50 watt 
orange dual terror 
Marshall mini jubilee 

What else shall I try out ?!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    edited January 2018
    Buy my Fryette Deliverance. It's 60w, single channel and very loud and girthy.

Failing that, go for a second hand Laney GH50L or the Victory Sheriff 44. EDIT: The Sheriff is actually quite expensive so probably not.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    JTM45.

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    when you try the EVH remember it has a LOT of gain compared to a JCM800, especially the Red channel so don't be afraid to run the gain low - it still sounds good.

I have an 800 and a 50w EVH and I have to say these days I always take the EVH out with the band

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Budda SuperDrive 
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    You're on the north east right? 

With checking out Steven James in Boro. If Pete is in he's a top guy and really knows his onions. Go talk to him and he'll give you honest advice and let you play what you want with no pressure. 

https://www.northeastguitar.co.uk

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • You're on the north east right? 

With checking out Steven James in Boro. If Pete is in he's a top guy and really knows his onions. Go talk to him and he'll give you honest advice and let you play what you want with no pressure. 

https://www.northeastguitar.co.uk
    I bought a 335 from there once . It's a good shop !! Might go through and see .
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Wait for the new Marshalls and look at a 40w combo. 
  • You might want to consider the 5150 3 EL34 model. Apparently it has independent gain and volume controls for each channel, and has a more Marshall-esque voicing than the standard 6L6 based version.
  • Those lunchbox sized Voxes with the tiddly valve and the class D o/p stage. They do one that's voiced like a Plexi but it may be worth checking out the one that's voiced like an AC30 - apparently it can do good Brian May impersonations if you like that sort of thing

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • rico said:
    New marshalls?
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    rico said:
    New marshalls?
    Yes. Officially announced at NAMM at the end of this week.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    New DSLs I think?
  • EL34 EVH 5150 III 50 watt sounds up your street. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    the EL34 is voiced more around the Red channel (I think) so it's a much higher gain blue channel - like the 100w stealth

• the EL34 is voiced more around the Red channel (I think) so it's a much higher gain blue channel - like the 100w stealth
    I thought the 100 watt stealth blue channel was based around the regular 50 watt blue channel, which had more gain than the standard 100 watt.  I'm not 100% sure about the differences in red channels but I do remember the Stealth is supposed to have more gain.
  • Here's someone describing their impressions of the 5153 50W el34

http://www.guitarampboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40641

• EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Dopesick said:
    Buy my Fryette Deliverance. It's 60w, single channel and very loud and girthy.

Failing that, go for a second hand Laney GH50L or the Victory Sheriff 44. EDIT: The Sheriff is actually quite expensive so probably not.
    The sheriff 44 is about £200 more expensive than an evh which is less of a jump when spending £900+. The evh is the standout amp from the 3 listed though in my opinion.

The victory v30 and vx kraken may also be worth a look or a friedman runt.
  • If you’re more into the tone of the original evh 50watt over the el34 version, you might want to wait until the updated version comes out that has the same separate green/blue channel volume & gain. Fender is also supposed to be offering an upgrade for the older amps at some stage too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got Dan Gower to mod my 6L6 EVH 50 so it has volume and gain on all 3 channels now. Great little amp. I quite fancy an EL34 50 though!