Splitting power supply outlets

kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
Hi

I'm looking to split the 18V outlet on my Cioks DC5 to power two 9v pedals. Has anyone done this before and ran into any issues, namely excess noise?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

If you are planning on doing that with a simple Y cable then it won't actually change the output voltage, which will remain at 18V on both outputs. It simply means you can plug 2 18V pedals into the same socket, and draw more current from it.

I'm not sure if there is a proper step-down splitter cable that can do the job, but I'm not a pedal expert.

However, the same simple Y splitter cable plugged into one of your 9V outlets WILL give you what you need, as long as the combined current draw of both pedals do not exceed the maximum limit of your single 9V output.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

A 9 volt one watt zener in each 'leg' would take the voltage down to 9V and handle about 100mA.

Dave.

• You can get splitter cables for different purposes. I have a few. One combines two outputs from my SupaCharger, to double the current (you can get voltage doublers too); and one splits another output into two. 
  • You can get splitter cables for different purposes. I have a few. One combines two outputs from my SupaCharger, to double the current (you can get voltage doublers too); and one splits another output into two. 
    Thanks, so in theory as long as the pedals draw less current than the outlet provides I could hook up 2 pedals to each outlet?
    Thanks, so in theory as long as the pedals draw less current than the outlet provides I could hook up 2 pedals to each outlet?
    Yes, assuming the right voltage and polarity you can hook up as many pedals as you like to the same outlet as long as you don't exceed the maximum mA draw.

The only potential downside is that the pedals sharing an outlet won't be isolated from each other, which *can* mean noise. You won't know until you try. Keep digital and analogue separate and you should be golden. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Yes, assuming the right voltage and polarity you can hook up as many pedals as you like to the same outlet as long as you don't exceed the maximum mA draw.

The only potential downside is that the pedals sharing an outlet won't be isolated from each other, which *can* mean noise. You won't know until you try. Keep digital and analogue separate and you should be golden. 

Thanks for your reply. The only pedals I'm looking to power using a single 9v (100mA) outlet is the Keeley Compressor Pro (50mA) and the Barber Gain Changer (12mA). Do you foresee any noise issues in this case?

Thanks for your reply. The only pedals I'm looking to power using a single 9v (100mA) outlet is the Keeley Compressor Pro (50mA) and the Barber Gain Changer (12mA). Do you foresee any noise issues in this case?
    I run a whole bunch of analogue pedals on a daisy chain from a single outlet on my PSU with no noise or weirdness. I doubt it will be a problem. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

I run a whole bunch of analogue pedals on a daisy chain from a single outlet on my PSU with no noise or weirdness. I doubt it will be a problem. 

Thank you!

Thank you!