Has Suhr finally entered the singlecut market?

What's Hot

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Final teaser before the big reveal I guess 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    So it is very much a les Paul clone from what we see so far, at least in terms of features and style of carve.

but an improved LP with proper( ;) ) frets, a full width neck join( perhaps), a reduced heel and straighter string paths at the headstock

so far, I am onboard with all of that 
     I think the big difference will be on the bass side.... something to stop it being a clone..   is it going to be a double cut???
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    WezV said:
    So it is very much a les Paul clone from what we see so far, at least in terms of features and style of carve.

but an improved LP with proper( ;) ) frets, a full width neck join( perhaps), a reduced heel and straighter string paths at the headstock

so far, I am onboard with all of that 

So basically a Feline then!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @dindude - indeed, that's my benchmark for this
    Actually from what we can see so far the neck join looks closer to the one I did on my last les Paul rather than the fully carved feline style ;)

I suspect the big change will be the shape.  There has to be a twist at the end of these reveals
    Actually from what we can see so far the neck join looks closer to the one I did on my last les Paul rather than the fully carved feline style ;)

I suspect the big change will be the shape.  There has to be a twist at the end of these reveals
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    WezV said:

WezV said:

Don't think it will be a big deviation - they play it pretty straight with their Fender inspired guitars - just enough to keep the lawyers at bay I would have thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, apologies Wez. I have no experience of your work but obviously know its held in high regard. I think it'll be their take on the BC Rich Bich
    Again, I was mainly joking.

i actually carved the heel on the first LP I built, about a year before I became aware of Jon’s work. If you saw it you would say I ripped it off.  It was just an extension of the carved I had been doing on other styles of guitars

its a common theme in guitar design
    dindude said:
    WezV said:

WezV said:

Don't think it will be a big deviation - they play it pretty straight with their Fender inspired guitars - just enough to keep the lawyers at bay I would have thought.
    Fender only go after the headstock
  • FozzFozz Frets: 62
    Really like the look of this so far, the headstock is a really nice take on the classic. Much nicer than their take on the Fender design.

I guess this will be priced in the same ballpark as the 594?
    My guess is that these will have the Thornbucker pickups in them. When Pete bought his Yaron replica, he was impressed with how the pickups captured that 'tele on steroids' sound of the classic 59 LP. Not long after, the Thornbuckers were released with a focus on tone over output level. Seems the perfect match for this new guitar.
    One of the main interests for me will be the range that they release. Their business model is to create a production line piece with fixed specs and then the custom options. Its also 20yrs since Suhr started so there might be a few mad pieces to celebrate the anniversary.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    edited January 2018

Not that excitng really. Probably the usual disappointment of guitars that look like Les Paul's, but don't deliver in the tone department. Having owned and played plenty of their S and T style guitars, that rule definitely applies there also.

Does it look like a thinner body? That does not do good things at all for the standard Huber Orca.

Hopefully the lawyers have got it right and the pointy horn, change of Knob placement, and different headstock are enough. Gibson buried the Anderson Bulldog, which was more of a departure than this I think.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    It looks more like Heritage's take on the LP, than it does the LP itself. 

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I'm not a les paul fan.. but i do like the finish on it..  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    Looks lovely.  But it is just a Les Paul.

I'd like to see a full-face picture, just to see how different the body shape is... or isn't.  I wonder if there's any comfort contouring round the back?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Don’t really get this. Can’t imagine it will be ‘better’ than a PRS Singlecut 594 - or any number of other high-end LP-alikes - so what’s the point of it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14231
    tFB Trader
    Don’t really get this. Can’t imagine it will be ‘better’ than a PRS Singlecut 594 - or any number of other high-end LP-alikes - so what’s the point of it?
    I think with companies like Suhr, when they release such a market they don't plan for global domination, but if they can sell 100 or 200 or 300 in a year then that fits in with their overall strategy and/or policy - It is icing on the cake to supplement their existing 'super Strat' market

I'd agree that you can't really achieve anything superior to say a PRS 595 so the finer nuances of such guitars will favour one player over another

Agree with you a bit on this one @Matt_McG that it has some Heritage vibe in there somewhere