Rush call it a day and split

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited January 2018 in Music
Alex Lifeson confirms RUSH’s breakup: “After 41 years, we felt it was enough”
With Neil Peart enjoying retirement, Alex Lifeson admits that the band has "no plans to tour or record any more"

Great band.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/01/alex-lifeson-confirms-rushs-breakup-after-41-years-we-felt-it-was-enough/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Studio albums19
    Live albums11
    Compilation albums9
    Video albums10
    Music videos32
    EPs1
    Singles42
    Remix albums1
    Box sets6

Pretty good going!

To be honest I was a massive fan up to Power Windows but didn't like their direction after that. Having said that, Clockwork angels was pretty darned good.

I hope Geddy keeps playing, him and Billy Sheehan being my favourite bass players
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I well remember many an evening sat listening to 2112 and working out the guitar parts. Terrible shame but nice to see them retire in good health and dignity intact unlike some other Bands I could think of 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Fair enough. Clockwork Angels is a good album to go out on. Their music and legacy remain.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 585

Almost certainly but I'm glad they've called it that.  It won't be Rush without Peart so don't call it as such.  Be good to hear what they put out!

If "Queen" had done the same I might've had a touch of respect for them ... might ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Bezzer said:

Almost certainly but I'm glad they've called it that.  It won't be Rush without Peart so don't call it as such.  Be good to hear what they put out!

If "Queen" had done the same I might've had a touch of respect for them ... might ...

Agree with Queen comment .. even if it was Brian May's Queen .. wis to you .. :-)

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    That's both sad news and good news. Neil's had a mad tough life. Hope he can enjoy retirement, and that Alex and Geddy can dick about and enjoy themselves.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822

What a career, 40-something years and no real dud album in their entire back catalogue.  I'm not sure I could say that of anyone else.

Sad news in a way, but I don't actually mind seeing a band retire gracefully.  A few more should follow their example.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I'm sad they're retiring as i never got to see them, couldn't afford it last time they were in the UK a few years ago. 

But also as many have said glad they retiring with dignity intact. 2112 will always be a defining album for me.
  • Its been assumed for months but I guess this is the semi official statement! They were the first band I properly 'got into' when I was 14-15, first concert too! 

What a career, had a few vastly different eras that were a success and one of the best live bands around. The sounds they produce from just 3 guys is remarkable. No backing tracks in sight either! 

If you haven't watched Beyond the Lighted Stage I would thoroughly recommend doing so, its tells the stories from the beginning and is full of funny and interesting little stories. The band does seem just like 3 good friends making music together, no drama, no upsets, nothing but class.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    No rush then..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you haven't watched Beyond the Lighted Stage I would thoroughly recommend doing so, its tells the stories from the beginning and is full of funny and interesting little stories. The band does seem just like 3 good friends making music together, no drama, no upsets, nothing but class.

I haven't watched that - I should - but I've enjoyed the interviews included as extras on the various live DVDs and Blu-rays.  They are all very articulate, intelligent and amusing guys.  Makes a pleasant change from Nikki Sixx going on about how many times he's died.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited January 2018
    I love that Geddy always wears his slippers right up until he gets on stage
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Only saw them live once at the NEC around '91. Superb.
    The only time I saw them was on the Hold Your Fire tour, which is probably my least favourite of all their albums (and probably the first one I got on CD rather than vinyl, I think).
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I've never seen them live although had a few albums and have a live DVD somewhere. 
    They are my guilty pleasure music; they get lumped in with prog rock and not a category I generally enjoy but Rush showed some humour and the ability to actually rock ( in a make you want to jump up and down and play air guitar kinda way ). Good to bow out and not split acrimoniously or flog a dead horse when you already own a holiday home in Malibu type deal. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4532
    edited January 2018
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    Well, it's hardly news.

Each of them can pretty much do what they like now.
    prowla said:
    Well, it's hardly news.

Each of them can pretty much do what they like now.
    True .. but two of them have started a new band together .. now that's news .. ;-)

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4532
    Neat video