House of Saud

What's Hot
been watching this documentary 
it is absolutely unbelievable

any of you guys seen it?

play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 6256
    not seen it yet, but it'd have to go quite some distance to paint them in a positive light. Biggest threat to peace and stability in the ME, yet not only do we support them, we even sell them the weapons they use to spread their wars. Funny old world sometimes. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2995
    VimFuego said:
    not seen it yet, but it'd have to go quite some distance to paint them in a positive light. Biggest threat to peace and stability in the ME, yet not only do we support them, we even sell them the weapons they use to spread their wars. Funny old world sometimes. 
    we even bribe them.. in billions..

however.. I get the feeling that they are a bit of a double edged sword..
    unbelievably corrupt.. human rights issues.. proxy wars.. funding terrorism.. etc etc on one hand..
    but they make a stable nation on the other.. which is important when you're in control of 1/5 of the words oil reserve..

• ICBMICBM Frets: 32663
    The irony is that by comparison, Iran is almost a beacon of tolerance and liberalism... and has a similar amount of oil. As does Russia - slightly more I think.

So exactly why are we best buddies with one of the most repressive, dangerous regimes in the world?
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    The irony is that by comparison, Iran is almost a beacon of tolerance and liberalism... and has a similar amount of oil. As does Russia - slightly more I think.

So exactly why are we best buddies with one of the most repressive, dangerous regimes in the world?
    £b40+ arms contracts with BAE etc once a decade maybe??
    of which by the way, £b6 goes out in "commission" fees to various princes and 'greasers of wheels'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Clarky said:

£b40+ arms contracts with BAE etc once a decade maybe??
    The results of which are now being used on the civilian population of Yemen...

It's not as if there aren't other wealthy but more civilised countries which would buy our weapons, even if that was the only thing we can sell - and it certainly isn't.

Clarky said:

of which by the way, £b6 goes out in "commission" fees to various princes and 'greasers of wheels'
    Exactly. Also one of the long list of reasons not to do business with them as you mentioned earlier.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    the documentary is worth watching if you've not seen it yet..
    it's on BBC iPlayer in 3 parts.. 
    it's incredible the stuff they're up to
    Will do. I'm downloading it now.
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 155
    That is why the Americans are based there, it is not to protect anything but the Saudi Royal Family and ensure they continue to spend the nations wealth in the USA.  It is a dumping ground for end of line.. anything. Medical, Cars, Fashions.
    Jock
    Jock68 said:
    That is why the Americans are based there, it is not to protect anything but the Saudi Royal Family and ensure they continue to spend the nations wealth in the USA.  It is a dumping ground for end of line.. anything. Medical, Cars, Fashions.
    I think the big money out there is on arms [including support and training contracts], oil / gas engineering, building / civil engineering, technology [IT, telecom etc] etc
    the US and UK are both heavily invested..

the interesting thing in the documentary was when the Saudi's were buying lots of shipments of arms from Bulgarian manufacturers.. because they are not compatible with their own military's kit..
    this was all Bulgarian made, Russian designed stuff.. all destined for "freedom fighters" in the region
    things is.. they lost control of the shipments and some of it ended up in the hands of IS and were used against them..