Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

This flu virus thing that's doing the rounds

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364

Anyone else got it? Bride of Boogie and myself have been down with it for days. Alternate hot sweats and shivering, aching joints, headache, lethargy, cough. I've also had the raging squits for the last couple of days, but that might just be down to the meds.

Urk :s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited January 2018
    Haven't had 'flu so far this year (I'm hoping the vaccine is doing its thing).
    At the end of October the sickly twat who I work with brought in some crap from the other side of the world and I had 12 weeks -- that's November, December, and half of January --  with a dreadful, crappy chest which was annoying enough to prompt my GP to send me for heart and lung tests and bloods. Really screwed me over as it happens.

And last week I saw that "Typhoid Mary" had brewed up another sticking, evil chest infection and was (a) coughing and spluttering all over the place; (b) still too f*cking stupid to stay at home.  Sometimes I just hate people.  It's one thing to be unaware you're infectious and quite another to be a seething vector of transmission who's too f'ing selfish to keep himself isolated. 
    /rant
    PS -- hope you're on the mend soon @boogieman ;;;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    boogieman said:

Anyone else got it? Bride of Boogie and myself have been down with it for days. Alternate hot sweats and shivering, aching joints, headache, lethargy, cough. I've also had the raging squits for the last couple of days, but that might just be down to the meds.

any idea which one?
    Japanese or Aussie?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    boogieman said:

any idea which one?
    Japanese or Aussie?
    No idea. Didn’t even realise there were different strains going round tbh. 
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited January 2018
    Im loaded with the cold, just sitting down to a max strength lemsip. Just had the strip put on my head to measure temp, got a ++ reading. Sounds like a mancold to me.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nope. Started with a cold about a week ago, gone now..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I had the flu a couple of weeks ago. Lost 4lbs in 4 days, and had a temperature of 41C.

It's mostly flu A (H3/Aussie flu) doing the rounds, not sure how effective the vaccine has been against it, although about 1/3 of the cases are flu B which I think the vaccine does cover this year. 

You can see the Northern Ireland statistics on the public health website, they do weekly bulletins. Compared to the 2015/16 winter there's roughly 3x the number of cases
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I had something a couple of weeks back that lasted a about 10 days. Was in bed for 3 of them. Lethargy, aching, headache, fuzzy vision. No sinus issues so put it down to something other than flu but I guess it probably was a mild case of if
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    It nearly finished my father off.  Double pneumonia, and constant uncontrollable coughing fits. 

Poor bloke.  Got out of hospital last week, still very rough. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had it this week... Im in my early 30s dont drink, eat very sensibly and very rarely get sick. Havent taken a day off sick in ten years.

This flu knocked me for six. Bed ridden from tuesday with body aches, fever and headaches. Still dont feel great today.

My advice is if you get it, is to take it seriously. A young man who worked in my place a few years back died just after new year from complications brought on by it.

Interestingly the day before i got it the wife and wee one both got the flu jab... is it possible they gave me it?
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    I know a few people who've been hit by it.
    One guy at work has been of 3 times sick over the past couple months. He was off for a week middle of December stuck in bed, and was getting back to normal when he was of again just after new year being sick again. Then he was of last week being sick again.
    Couple other guys at work were also of, with one of them getting it twice.
    I also know a couple guys who's wife's have both been bed bound twice about a couple weeks apart.

I know over the past couple months, I had a few periods where I just felt absolutely rubbish. Worst I got was a horrendously blocked nose for a few days, and just lacking energy and wanting to sleep far more than normal. I'd feel like I was getting back to normal, then it would hit me again.
  • I really don't understand why some people take their disease to work with them. If you can't leave your disease at home, stay at home with it until it leaves you, don't give it to someone else  :p
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Had it for five weeks and I'm still coughing ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Had it for five weeks and I'm still coughing ....
    Me too. Just about over it. Convinced it would have killed me if I was in my 80s.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2018
    Fourth round now and I never get ill.  Because it's been so mild I reckon.  Last night I dreamed about flesh eating aliens in indonesia.  Dreamed not reamed.  Sakes
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sambostar said:
    Fourth round now and I never get ill.  Because it's been so mild I reckon.  Last night I dreamed about flesh eating aliens in indonesia.  Dreamed not reamed.  Sakes
    He’s back! 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    I really don't understand why some people take their disease to work with them. If you can't leave your disease at home, stay at home with it until it leaves you, don't give it to someone else  :p
    I've long thought it should be a disciplinary offence to go to work while infectious.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I really don't understand why some people take their disease to work with them. If you can't leave your disease at home, stay at home with it until it leaves you, don't give it to someone else  :p
    I've long thought it should be a disciplinary offence to go to work while infectious.
    Working somewhere that doesn’t pay sick pay is a real bonus in situations like this.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    Sporky said:
    Working somewhere that doesn’t pay sick pay is a real bonus in situations like this.
    Well, not paying sick pay should be a hanging offence.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Today’s extra bonus, a skin rash, just  to add a little to the misery. Some antihistamines have calmed it down but still  :'(
  • @boogieman hope you feel better soon. Have you had a hot toddy today?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom