SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro 1991

What's Hot

Comments

• Back up for sale
    I've had that one ages darling
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • After almost selling it to a fella for 1250 (his offer) I'm bumping it again
  • Interested to know when Paul Reed Smith said a Patrick Eggle was better than his guitar builds? Sounds like a bad business move to me. :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NamaquaNamaqua Frets: 62
    Interested to know when Paul Reed Smith said a Patrick Eggle was better than his guitar builds? Sounds like a bad business move to me. :o
    Not sure it was a public statement but I can say that on meeting Mr Smith in 2006, I mentioned this comment to him and he was [full of praise for the Berlin Pro when he came across them in the early nineties] saying there were things PRS picked up from Eggle to improve their custom line. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I just found an old review of this particular geetar. Specs, no playing https://youtu.be/qnMHTH70G2k
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited April 2019
    Namaqua said:
    Interested to know when Paul Reed Smith said a Patrick Eggle was better than his guitar builds? Sounds like a bad business move to me. o
    Not sure it was a public statement but I can say that on meeting Mr Smith in 2006, I mentioned this comment to him and he was [full of praise for the Berlin Pro when he came across them in the early nineties] saying there were things PRS picked up from Eggle to improve their custom line. 
    Didn’t stop Paul putting a trade embargo on Eggle banning them from the U.S. The comment at the time went along the lines of I don’t to have to compete against my own designs. Ps definitely from first production run as no volute , added fairly quickly ie within a year of first launch. Serial number suggests 73rd one made, they started at 500
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    @maltingsaudio ;
    thanks for that info on the production run. Didn’t realize that!
    edited April 2019
    Interestingly I just found this. The serial is 500 on the card that Patrick hand wrote
    https://imgur.com/gallery/iEYefYQ
  • Namaqua said:
    Interestingly I just found this. The serial is 500 on the card that Patrick hand wrote
    Well that’s a wow from me because that is the serial number of my Berlin Pro! 500 is the number painted on the guitar , 517 I think is on the card. 

Going to tag @RevMatt in this
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited April 2019
    Namaqua said:
    Well that’s a wow from me because that is the serial number of my Berlin Pro! 500 is the number painted on the guitar , 517 I think is on the card. 

So we’ve almost got each other’s cards, 2 out and it looks like you have the first one of the first batch
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 835

Well thank you. I have been following with interest...

Serial numbers on hangtags not matching the guitar isn't an unknown phenomenon, and has often been put down to the serial no. being stamped on the guitar out of sync with the card being written.

However, another possibility is that these two guitars have reviously been owned by the same person and the cards got mixed up.

On the question of serial numbers beginning at 500, this is thought to be correct and general evidence supports this, with the exception perhaps of the original run of JS Legends which definitely started at no. 1.

With regard to the absence of the volute on the earliest examples (1991- mid 1992), it's suggested that this represents the period when the necks were hand carved and adding a volute was too labour intensive, but this was added when they switched to machining the necks - this is mostly one of those anecdotal beliefs that has been passed down through the annals of time, but it makes sense.
    RevMatt said:

Well thank you. I have been following with interest...

Serial numbers on hangtags not matching the guitar isn't an unknown phenomenon, and has often been put down to the serial no. being stamped on the guitar out of sync with the card being written.

However, another possibility is that these two guitars have reviously been owned by the same person and the cards got mixed up.

On the question of serial numbers beginning at 500, this is thought to be correct and general evidence supports this, with the exception perhaps of the original run of JS Legends which definitely started at no. 1.

With regard to the absence of the volute on the earliest examples (1991- mid 1992), it's suggested that this represents the period when the necks were hand carved and adding a volute was too labour intensive, but this was added when they switched to machining the necks - this is mostly one of those anecdotal beliefs that has been passed down through the annals of time, but it makes sense.
    Interest grows. Thanks @RevMatt .
    In terms of mixing cards up, the numbers aren't quite the same. 71 vs 73 so unfortunately not that simple. I'm sure the first theory is spot on though.
  • I can categorically deny that both guitars were owned by the same person as I ran a music shop in Plymouth at the time and we were one of the first dealers to sign up to Eggle and were only allowed to order 2 at a time.Tim the sales rep arrived with three guitars and said at that time I could only have 1, I chose my Berlin Pro from the three in bottle green, I didn’t check the hang tags Until later which say 514 Bottle Green. But the number on the headstock is 500 as well as on the original factory invoice which I still have. We did sell quite a few Eggles during our time but have never seen the tag that should have been on my guitar until today!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Great story @maltingsaudio - have you shared it (along with pictures) on the Eggle forum?
    RevMatt said:
    Great story @maltingsaudio - have you shared it (along with pictures) on the Eggle forum?
    There’s an Eggle forum?
    Indeed, albeit an unofficial one focussing on guitars produced in the 90s:

https://patrickeggleguitars.org/smf/index.php
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    I can categorically deny that both guitars were owned by the same person as I ran a music shop in Plymouth at the time and we were one of the first dealers to sign up to Eggle and were only allowed to order 2 at a time.Tim the sales rep arrived with three guitars and said at that time I could only have 1, I chose my Berlin Pro from the three in bottle green, I didn’t check the hang tags Until later which say 514 Bottle Green. But the number on the headstock is 500 as well as on the original factory invoice which I still have. We did sell quite a few Eggles during our time but have never seen the tag that should have been on my guitar until today!
    That's interesting - because I lived in Plymouth in the 70's & 80's!What shop?
    I went to Patrick Eggle & they 'customised' my LP for me. I was going to buy an LA  but, long story short, bought an MIII.

• @trolley  Sandco 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    edited April 2019
    That doesn’t ring any bells.
    When? And where?
  • trolley said:
    That doesn’t ring any bells.
    When? And where?