Ibanez AZ series

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
edited February 2018 in Guitar
Seriously gassing over the new AZ range. I wouldn’t normally be interested in a pointy Ibanez on aesthetic grounds, but by marrying traditional looks with modern features, Ibanez have got me seriously interested. Particularly like the Indonesian made HH in espresso burst. Sounds fantastic in demos, it’s marketed as a versatile, do it all guitar for professionals. What’s the verdict, fretboarders? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are purdy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    There's something about them I don't like and I can't put my finger on what it is.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Iz it coz dey iz black?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket said:
    There's something about them I don't like and I can't put my finger on what it is.
    That’s got me staring at the pic scratching my chin trying to think what it could be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Something about the headstock looks wrong to me , perhaps it's just the tip ?  Reminds me of something familiar .
         The rest looks pretty cool though .
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited February 2018
    Alvin said:
    Something about the headstock looks wrong to me , perhaps it's just the tip ?  Reminds me of something familiar .
    Is it a space shuttle or a cock shaped headstock? Guitars are all phallic symbols though, aren’t they?  This discussion is not going the way I imagined it would
  • I’ve got my eye on the AZ242 Tequila sunrise finish 

Looking forward to trying one out 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Bucket said:
    For me the trem is too silvery. 

But aye, I also have my eyes on an Rgat in sapphire blue. 
    Fixed bridge strung thru, but with Dimarzio’s and a neck thru.. for £489... what the fuck?!  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Headstock doesn't sit right with me. Maybe the old Roadstar headstock would have suited better 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I think that one looks like a 90s Yamaha RGX
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I think they look fantastic.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I like them, like the headstock too. I wish more widdle brands would give a 2-point trem option rather locking. Charvel Pro Mod with 2-point trem, yes please!
  • I would like to try one out. I've found other Ibanez guitars well made and easy to play and also more versatile than I'd expected for use in a covers band. Then again, I've found the same by backing down the volume controls on my active-EMG ESP Eclipse.
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    Fell in love with the finish on one of the prototypes, would have bought it in an instant if it was released as a production model...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Suhr/Anderson style at far east prices? these are gonna sell like MAD, and I'm gonna buy one in a years time when the depreciation has made them a crazy bargain..
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TitchTitch Frets: 45
    The headstock looks very similar to a Valley Arts. 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Bucket said:
    The amount of wood on the base side of the fretboard and the headstock for me. I'd still rather have an RG.
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    Alvin said:
    Is it a space shuttle or a cock shaped headstock? Guitars are all phallic symbols though, aren’t they?  This discussion is not going the way I imagined it would
       Yes,  it looks like it has a helmet head-stock , but it's a grower !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm looking forward to trying one of these but I wish there were a better choice of colours and plain rather than pearloid scratchplates on the HSS ones. On one of the NAMM videos I saw someone playing a pink HH one with white pickups which looked way cooler than any of the production finishes. There also looked to be a limited edition Korina topped NAMM HH one but that will probably be silly money if I could find it anywhere. With any luck the range will be a roaring success and they'll start making them in more attractive finishes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Agree about the colours and perloid on the HSS, more choice to come maybe. Could do with more HH colours, I love the espresso but don’t want another brown guitar to add to my two already brown guitars! The tequila one looked awful initially, but after seeing this demo, hey it looks pretty cool

https://youtu.be/IRdvWe6sKCA

The marketing is making a lot out of consulting musicians around the world. I wonder if this partly influenced by Chapman Guitars’ social media approach and could be a sign of things to come? 

The more I look at them the more I like. The necks look fantastic. The headstock is fine, I like the gold retro looking ‘Ibanez’ logo.