Using amps in mainland Europe (transformers?)

What's Hot
TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
Hi all, As per title can anyone recommend what we should be looking at for transformers for using uk spec amps in mainland Europe? Any help grately appreciated Kind regards Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'm sure ICBM will be along shortly to confirm it, but it should be fine to just use a UK amp as standard in the EU.   The voltage in some places might be a touch lower at 220V as opposed to the 230V we are all supposed have,  but that will still be well within the specs for an amp designed for the UK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited August 2013
    Absolutely safe just to plug them in, but you might notice a small loss of volume and/or change of tone.

In fact, there never has been any standardisation of voltages - the UK is still 240V and Europe is still 220, but there was a classic Euro-fudge in how they were defined so they both appear to be 230 give or take a bit more than before depending on where you are :).

So the voltage 'over there' is a little lower. Which is better than the other way round! I'd be more careful about using European amps here, even though in theory they should still be safe at the maximum UK voltage.

Check your amps though - some have selectors. Just don't forget to put them back when you get home!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    ICBM said:
    Absolutely safe just to plug them in, but you might notice a small loss of volume and/or change of tone.

In fact, there never has been any standardisation of voltages - the UK is still 240V and Europe is still 220, but there was a classic Euro-fudge in how they were defined so they both appear to be 230 give or take a bit more than before depending on where you are :).

So the voltage 'over there' is a little lower. Which is better than the other way round! I'd be more careful about using European amps here, even though in theory they should still be safe at the maximum UK voltage.
    Being of a certain age I have to be careful not to slip into using 240V at school - GCSE Science and Physics exams now insist on 230V in the mark schemes - feels harsh to me to penalise the kids that put 240V.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I've done a couple of 80-date European tours, always using my own amps. I do use locally-bought mains leads rather than cheapo travel adapters wherever possible, but it's not critical.
  • John_P said:
    Being of a certain age I have to be careful not to slip into using 240V at school - GCSE Science and Physics exams now insist on 230V in the mark schemes - feels harsh to me to penalise the kids that put 240V.

It is a weird one, kinda.  We are abiding by the EU standard of 230v as there is a ±10% tolerance.  This allows for a variation of 207V to 253V coming out of your socket - so to speak.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    thank you as ever guys, most helpful :) 

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I've seen 236v at a mate's house and 257.9v at mine. As above, it shouldn't be a problem on a 220v system.