I need a vintage Fender amp switch

OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
edited March 2014 in Amps
Hi all, 

I'm currently servicing a '73 Fender Pro Reverb which is completely stock right down to the RCA and GE valves. Last night I found that one of the switches is falling to bits. Ideally I would like to use an original switch, used or NOS.

It's a long shot, but does anyone have one lying around?

Cheers,
Rob.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    The nearest I have found is this one from TAD. But, I have had some quite dubious quality replacement parts from the in the past. 

Cheers,
    Rob.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I've used these in a couple of builds and found them very good, well made and good "feel" to the switch.  I think the Fender originals were Carling?

http://www.hotroxuk.com/carling-spst-toggle-switch-sw110-63.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CMfD44r1kb0CFTTItAod-UkAdA

Carling switches are great, however that one is SPST. 

The one I need to replace is the Double On/Off with four terminals, like the one in the TAD link above. 

I know Fender used those SPST Carling switches for both Mains and Standby in their vintage amps, but I think they used the four terminal ones in the export amps.

I may look at rewiring to utilise the SPST switch that Hotrox has. The TAD one is 10.90 Euros plus 13.00 Euros shipping !!!!!

Cheers,
    Rob.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    You have to be careful to get a switch that will physically fit - the position of the mains switch in some of these older Fenders is awkward both for height (against the bottom of the chassis) and width (against the screw for the closest valve socket), and it may be easier to use the SPST Carling switch which will definitely fit.

You can safely rewire the amp for single-pole switching, although it's not compliant with modern regulations for new equipment. I would take the live to the fuse holder and then the switch, and the neutral to the voltage selector - directly to the 240V terminal, not the centre, so the selector is also disabled. (Accidental selection of the wrong voltage is a fairly common cause of damage.)

I wouldn't worry too much about strict originality since the amp will need re-capping anyway really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yes, space is definitely an issue. I had to remove one screw from a power valve base to get it out.

I'll order the Carling SPST and see how I get on. 

As for originality, yes, I've already done the recap with a full set of Sprague Atoms, and it's now blackfaced too. I just like to keep as much as possible original beyond that.

Thanks for the help,
    Rob.