Milkman Creamer 20 / Lazy J20

What's Hot
randersonranderson Frets: 187
edited February 2018 in Amps
This may have been touched upon but I can't see any other threads really answering with specifics so here goes..

I'm interested to know the thoughts of anyone who has owned/played a Milkman 20w Creamer and a Lazy J20.

I recently played the Creamer and loved the high head room it possessed. I A/B'd with the Morgan Princeton model and although it was also good, it broke up earlier and for me, the cleans at the higher volume of the Milkman were more to my taste / my cup of tea.. (I give up - it's almost impossible not to drop puns in this post).

Up until now I was convinced a Lazy J20 was the next amp for me but having only played one once a while back now -  I'm now rethinking this in light of the Milkman.

Does it hold it's clean sound at higher volume like the Milkman?

How would you describe the main tonal differences between the amps. One being a tweed deluxe and the other more Princetonesque.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
    I cannot comment on the Creamer, but the J20 is not a clean amp. There's pretty much no headroom if you use humbuggies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    Ive had both. I’m not surprised you were impressed with the Milkman.

the lazy J is totally different and will not give the headroom over the milkman, it’s just not that type of amp.
  • monkey42 said:

the lazy J is totally different and will not give the headroom over the milkman, it’s just not that type of amp.
    That's interesting. Thanks. So even though both are Fender Deluxe(ish) you would say they are quite different even aside from the headroom aspect? 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    randerson said:
    monkey42 said:

That's interesting. Thanks. So even though both are Fender Deluxe(ish) you would say they are quite different even aside from the headroom aspect? 
    Totally different amps

the milkman is a great amp

• monkey42 said:
    randerson said:
    monkey42 said:

Totally different amps

the milkman is a great amp

Out of interest what amp have you settled with now - do you still own either of these still?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6145
    tFB Trader
    Just to throw something else into the mix....... Have you considered a Rift Amplification PR18? UK made, Astonishing attention to detail, immaculate internals and tone'a'plenty.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3157
    tFB Trader
    randerson said:
    monkey42 said:

The Lazy 20 is based on a 1957 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, whereas the Creamer is (loosely) based on a 1964 AA1164 Princeton Reverb - two entirely different animals.

ThorpyFX said:
    Just to throw something else into the mix....... Have you considered a Rift Amplification PR18? UK made, Astonishing attention to detail, immaculate internals and tone'a'plenty.....
    Thanks, Adrian!
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2018
    Lazy J20 has very little headroom unless you play around with your guitar volume controls. I've been keen to try a milkman but way too expensive. Rift amps however has always been on my radar. One day ... one day ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Thanks for that tip. I'll certainly look into them.

Thanks too to everyone for the info!
  • randerson said: I recently played the Creamer and loved the high head room it possessed. I A/B'd with the Morgan Princeton model and although it was also good, it broke up earlier.
    The Creamer is 20 watts and the Morgan PR12 is 12 watts, so I’d expect the Creamer to have significantly more headroom. As an aside, the reverb in the PR12, with its additional Dwell control, is one of the best I’ve heard in a combo.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • mavthelabmavthelab Frets: 28
    So I have the 10w creamer milkman.  It’s a fantastic amp.  Perfect for bedroom practice and studio work.  Takes pedals well.  I A/B ‘d that against the Lazy J10LC.  The Lazy breaks up earlier and is louder.  The milkman is, well creamier.  Smoother if you will.  They are both great amps.  I have a lot of boutique and high end amps and a pedal board to match.  The view I took is you get the gains/break up that the lazy does so well from the milkman with pedals.  But you can’t get the smooth cleans from the lazy that the milkman does so well.  So it’s personal preference.  I will probably end with both at some point!

hope that helps. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    mavthelab said:
    So I have the 10w creamer milkman.  It’s a fantastic amp.  Perfect for bedroom practice and studio work.  Takes pedals well.  I A/B ‘d that against the Lazy J10LC.  The Lazy breaks up earlier and is louder.  The milkman is, well creamier.  Smoother if you will.  They are both great amps.  I have a lot of boutique and high end amps and a pedal board to match.  The view I took is you get the gains/break up that the lazy does so well from the milkman with pedals.  But you can’t get the smooth cleans from the lazy that the milkman does so well.  So it’s personal preference.  I will probably end with both at some point!

hope that helps. 
    Took you over four years to comment!!  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    mavthelab said:

hope that helps. 

You can't rush these things.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    mavthelab said:

hope that helps. 
    and now the amps called "the extra mature cheddar"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Just imagining how good an amp would have to be to get over the name Milkman Creamer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    "confessions of a milkman creamer ..."
  • glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    If you get a chance, try a Two Rock Studio Pro 35. The clean headroom is just wonderful, but you can get some tasty mild overdrive if pushed.
  • scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    Having had a lazy j20 - I thought it was nice, but, as many have commented it sounds best with a tele - I’d definitely look elsewhere tbh