casters for Marshall base 4x12

What's Hot
I liked the idea of these https://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatalog/125mm-Heavy-Duty-Swivel-Castors-Red-Polyurethane-Wheel--PLS522PNB.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-837nbib2QIVjr_tCh2J8Ay4EAQYAiABEgJNEPD_BwE as they apparently don't mind the cab being stood in one place for long periods of time (which will definitely happen in my place). Has anyone used them, or is there a better product?

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When I had my old Marshall stack I had castors on it but didn't like how it moved about on stage due it having wheels. The low end was affected too as the cab was raised off the floor but that's a tone thing. As far as logistics are concerned it made it a lot easier to transport til we got to venues with 3 flights of stairs! I opted to get an Orange PPC412 which has no castors but I like the tone better.
  • I'd use 2 of the kind with a brake, and 2 ordinary ones. I don't think it would move on stage with braked castors.

For me, losing a little bass would be a good not a bad thing, I often felt there wasn't enough top end in the sound (but that may be because my ears are shot)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Mine didn't have them but as the wood was lighter it would still move around I reckon. I guess its dependant on what kind of music you play, for us its drop b metalcore so the low end is important! Orange cabs are made of heavier wood so it resonates better.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

There are versions there with a brake. Or you can carry a length of wood that you jam in the front. This would also 'couple' to the stage and cure the HPF effect.

50 odd years ago when I was in a 'group' we had to solve these problems ourselves! Either there was nothing to buy or even if there was we were potless!

I think most groups of that time had to have at least one "technician" on the strength, that was me, bass player. Home made amp, speaker and bass G!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I remember having to buy one more castor when I first got the cab, as I had to get a footswitch as well. That link looks familiar.
    ecc83 said:

There are versions there with a brake.

Brake? You fold up a beer mat and shove it between the wheel and the frame ;).

ecc83 said:

50 odd years ago when I was in a 'group' we had to solve these problems ourselves! Either there was nothing to buy or even if there was we were potless!

I think most groups of that time had to have at least one "technician" on the strength, that was me, bass player. Home made amp, speaker and bass G!

That was how I got into my first band too - I wouldn't fix stuff for them unless they let me play rhythm guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Those Marshall castors are tiny. How would they fare when trundling a cab across a pub car park?
    Those Marshall castors are tiny. How would they fare when trundling a cab across a pub car park?
    Not ideal. But then almost anything short of supermarket shopping trolley wheels is...

I once had a Marshall cab which someone had fitted 6" trolley wheels to. It was easy to move, and sounded great - possibly because of the increased height from the floor - but it did look really stupid.

If moving it over rough tarmac is the most important thing, you really need a sack trolley not castors.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Don't forget to bolt them to the cab with large washers on the inside. An old band mate of mine fitted castors to a 2x12 with wood screws - they didn't stay attached for very long.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Piano trolley.

Dave.