Taylor 814 v 812CE

I have an 814 and it's lovely but often find it can be slightly cumbersome and as I like the Gibson scale length, often wonder if I'd prefer the shorter scale and smaller body of the 812. Not talking about the 12 fret one, the regular one.

I've heard the 812 is for fingerstyle mainly, I don't play fingerstyle an awful lot and mostly strum and like the sound of a nice open chord.

My first acoustic was a fairly small body and I think that's why I'm gravitating towards the smaller shape, also, being primarily an electric guitarist nowadays, wonder if the smaller shape would be easier to become acustomed to.

So what are your thoughts and is the 812 really THAT much smaller in real life? Unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of seeing one or trying one...hopefully will next week in Birmingham!
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    I don’t know the 814. I do have a 414, and have compared it with a 412, which is much less resonant. If you play complicated finger picked pieces, with lots of notes, then the 412 is suited. Jacques Stotzem used one for Sur Vesdre, so you can hear one played if you download a copy. Personally, and despite being an electric guitarist, I prefer greater resonance.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • That's really good info, thank you again @Roland. I had a feeling it'd be less resonant. Can you remember if it was a signifacantly smaller body? Enough to make a difference?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I’m not sure ‘greater resonance’ quite explains it.

The 14 Series guitars have more low-end - hence they give the impression of more ‘power’. I actually believe the 12 Series are no less dynamic - or quieter - but the lack of deep bass makes them sound ‘smaller’.

The 14s are great all-rounders - but the 12s are really musical guitars.
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    Maybe look at the Martin 000 size, I have both a 00028 & a Sigma cheaper equivalent (000MC-1STE). Altho the Martin is a lot more quality sound (and costs heaps more!) they both have a great body feel, - both being only 4" deep and very slim waist, they really sit comfy under your arm and feel part of you. I must admit I like the Taylor necks, but equally found the Martin 24.9"neck & profile just as playable after a bit of setting up (and I use 11-50 strings for added playability). The Sigma is electro so I use that for louder jobs.