NPD Sonus 68 jimi mod fuzz

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
edited February 2018 in FX
I’m onto my 4th Sonus fuzz and I thought I’d share my thoughts regarding the difference between the first model and the current. 
Patrizio, from Sonus, has a passion for Hendrix and fuzz. Easily one of the top Hendrix note for note copiers on YouTube, rivalled by his attention to fuzz builds. 
The first version (not the fuzz face replica casing he also builds) had a large enclosure, 2 pots, side jacks and battery power with nkt275. The current model has a small enclosure, an extra bias pot to create a dying battery, rear mounted jacks, positive ground power, battery, NKT MT57F, circuit board mounted on the rear panel, extremely tidy wiring. 
The physical difference is the current model is clearly a player’s model, built for modern pedalboards. The old one takes the space of two new ones. Hence the purchase. 
There is a big difference in sound. The first model is closer to an original fuzzface: background noise, huge volume, huge fuzz range, a perhaps too far volume jump from guitar volume clean to fuzz 10, perhaps performing best on a dimed amp than a loud clean. The original has a little extra body on the clean. The fuzz is huge, wild, dangerous. 
The current model has more in common with the Sonus silicon model and I believe for the positive. Both these pedals require max volume output with fuzz near max to taste. The original goes much further. I believe, and I would appreciate opinion and feedback, that Patrizio has limited the vol and fuzz for a reason: the extra vol and fuzz may have made it unruly. The new fuzz can hit other pedals without problems. I always limited the vol and fuzz on the old model anyway to somewhere similar to the dimed new model. The silicon model only works well dimed. I’m using low output single coils; hotter pickups may require lower settings. 
All the models have faithful simple recreations of the vintage fuzzface circuit board. The build quality of the pedals reflects experience and perfection from passionate recreation to player’s grade pro design. 
Which sounds the best? The original, of course. However, it’s too noisy and big. The current model is much more appropriate to a larger pedalboard where combinations are appreciated. The guitar vol change from clean to fuzz is from 9 to ten, whereas the original is 8 to ten. 
The new model will take the place of the silicon version. The original will stay in my collection. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The new model has close to zero noise, as does the silicon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    Fascinating stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    glynes said:
    Fascinating stuff
    Why did you bother joining a guitar forum when you obviously have no interest in the subject?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Undecided about my fuzz choice. Took out all 3 again and played them through a 1969 plexi. The original, although noisier, won hands down. I compared it to an original fuzz face and incredibly the Sonus won with much more volume and fuzz on tap.
    The new germanium version was decidedly darker and quieter.
    So I've gone and bought a thorpy veteran silicon. I'll pit them against each other next week.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Bringing this thread back to life. Did you stick with the Sonus in the end?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Unfortunately, the transistors on the original Sonus had strayed far from their original spec introducing noise so Patrizio put in some new ones and transferred the parts into the new box. Side by side the two germanium were identical so I kept the old one and sold on the new. Thorpy is still in a drawer as backup. In fact, I’ll get it out again one day to see how it sounds. The 68 will never leave my board and remains the longest serving pedal next to the Kingsley bard. 
    Yes, I preferred the old transistors but the noise was too much. 
    Are you considering a new fuzz?
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Toying with the idea of a germanium again as I think it might like the new amp (deluxe reverb) more than the Si did. Not sure yet still in the zoning in pedals phase. Interesting re the old Sonus. Everything I have heard of them is incredible.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Yep, Patrizio was surprised too and dismayed at the wiring. His work is very elegant now. They really are good and I’ve access to ff from 67-72. Noisy but incredible. Still, I prefer the Sonus.