Gibson Quick Connect Maintenance

What's Hot
I'm wondering what the best way to maintain the pots is? Is it safe to spray WD-40 Contact Cleaner (the actual specially made WD-40 Contact Cleaner) in the back?  

I don't want to get crackling volume pots.  

It looks like it's all pretty much a sealed unit at the back - I'm not even sure where I'd spray the contact cleaner in order for it to get inside the pots? I don't want to risk doing it from the front of the guitar because, if some got on the nitro, I'm certain that would be a disaster.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    edited February 2018
    Best way to maintain it is to replace it with a proper wiring kit and store it safely in a drawer  
    Easy job gibson should've done in the factory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    From your description it sounds like there’s nothing wrong with it, so leave it alone.

If something does go wrong with it, do what KrisGee said...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Tbh I've often wondered whether the access holes for cleaning conventional pots is where the crud gets in in the first place, or whether it's carbon build-up from wear. 

If it's the former your sealed pots will outlive all of us. 
    :)
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    It's a bit of a hassle for the end user if you want to swap out a pot or pickup, but a money /time saver for Gibson. It's a failed experiment. Gibson had talks with the main PU manufacturers, to establish a QC standard connector, but it didn't happen.
    p90fool said:
    Tbh I've often wondered whether the access holes for cleaning conventional pots is where the crud gets in in the first place, or whether it's carbon build-up from wear.
    It's wear and carbon build-up. Sealed pots with carbon tracks wear out too - the ones Dunlop used to fit to Cry Babys are notorious for it. Even the cermet track type do eventually.

I don't know which type these Gibson ones are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The WD40 contact cleaner doesn't appear to contain any lubricant at all.
    I'd only use it when the pots actually need it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    It does work better than Servisol, IME.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I just want to ensure that no dirt or crud gets built up in there - I want to prevent problems before they start to save money in the long run. 
    I just want to ensure that no dirt or crud gets built up in there - I want to prevent problems before they start to save money in the long run. 
    Don't clean pots when they don't need it - if there's nothing wrong, it can wash out some of the lubricants and increase wear.

In any case, these are sealed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @ICBM