Powering issue (Neo Vent Mini+Walrus Audio Phoenix)

Hello

Had some great help last week when I asked whether or not I needed a reverse polarity cable to power my Neo Vent Mini. 

Last night I took the board to rehearsal, with the Neo Vent powered using the reverse polarity cable, going into the 9v/12v port in the Walrus Audio Phoenix, obviously switched up to 12v.

The pedal worked beautifully for a short while, then gradually a low end hum started creeping in and I was losing power from the pedal, eventually the hum took over and no effect was present, when I switched the bypass off all was fine, but turning the pedal back on I just got an almighty hum. I played around with a few things and (thought) I fixed it, but every solution I found, after a few minutes of being on the pedal just died.

This morning I powered it with the wall socket power supply that was included, and it seems to be working absolutely fine. Of course this is good news, as I can probably find a way to plug it in that way live, but I'm off on tour tomorrow and don't really want the extra power supply to plug in alongside my board and amps. Does anybody know what might be causing this? 

Would really appreciate if anyone can shed some light for me. Is it something to do with the Walrus Audio Phoenix? They do supply reverse polarity cables with the supply so I'm surprised if there's any issues that end.

Many thanks
Harry

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Your pedal supply doesn’t supply enough mA. 
    I use Gigrig and their supanova works but it sometimes doesn’t. Luckily I have a dedicated supanova with 2 units wired together to supply 12vdc + with double the amount of available mA. I contacted neo instruments about this issue and they said it might be enough. Gigrig regularly recommends supplying twice the recommended mA amount. 
    You haven’t hurt the pedal but you will need more mA. 
    Just checked: your unit only supplies 100mA on 12. Enough to get going but not to keep running. You’ll have to use the dedicated plug. 
  • Hey @lukedlb thanks for such a useful response! That explains it perfectly, I'll crack on with the supplied power then - what a bummer. Cheers!
    You’re welcome. I hope you’re enjoying the mini vent. Fantastic pedal. Weighs a lot less than my Leslie. 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    A Decibel Hot Stone Deluxe happily powers the Mini Vent (and the full size Ventilator 2 for that matter.) You;ll still need the reverse polarity cable.