Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar is dead - According to Matt Bellamy anyway

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Seems Muse are moving away from old fashioned guitars and into modern stuff - like ..er ..808s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43126988
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The days of rock gods posing heroically with a Fender Stratocaster are over, says Muse frontman Matt Bellamy.

Says well known Telecaster player. But he's right 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7863
    They've been saying that since the sixties
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited February 2018
    I love Muse, but Matt is a bit of a tit sometimes.

It is a bit of a habit with big bands though, what he is really saying is "for me guitar is about rhythm and texture not squealy solos" and it comes across as "for everyone guitar is no longer about squealy solos"

As long as I have working fingers and a guitar I'll play terrible solos for the benefit of me, and Matt can play to stadiums and then go home to his mansion and millions of pounds...

But who is happier eh? ...  Sob....
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I blame the lizards.

• I love Muse, but Matt is a bit of a tit sometimes.

It is a bit of a habit with big bands though, what he is really saying is "for me guitar is about rhythm and texture not squealy solos" and it comes across as "for everyone guitar is no longer about squealy solos"
    I bet he only says that because he's a rhythm player and can't do squealy solos
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    TheMarlin said:
    They've been saying that since the sixties
    Yep, that's what they told me when I had to go to accordion lessons in the 60s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I pretty much agree with his take on that whole article.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Fuck off Matt :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I get where he’s coming from - 70s style jamming rock and 80s style widdly widdly dive-bombing screeching have had their day (thankfully), but if anyone asked me to name a modern player who treats the guitar as a lead instrument and does solos then Bellamy is a name which would immediately spring to mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Says Matt, the man who makes hideous screeching sounds with his guitar and his voice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Yeah, ...it's all over Matt.

Off you pop....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

He's competent enough when he wants to be. New Born and Invincible are great solos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Guitar is no longer the foremost instrument of popular music: that position now belongs to the DAW.  The guitar now has its place among everything else in the compositional palette.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    70s style jamming rock and 80s style widdly widdly dive-bombing screeching have had their day (apparently), but if anyone asked me to name a modern player who treats the guitar as a lead instrument and plays satisfying does solos then I can't think of a name which would immediately spring to mind. 
    fixed that for you ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah he's a good musician.  I've not been as in to more recent Muse stuff but their early stuff was pretty exciting from a guitar standpoint.  They've consistently had good bass stuff too.

Ummmm...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822
    He's probably right for now, certainly in terms of the mainstream.  But surely there'll be some kind of retro guitar revival at some point.  Fingers crossed.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I love Muse, but Matt is a bit of a tit sometimes.

A bit?

Yes, the guitar is dead in the sense that people get bored quickly of dull guitar histrionics.

So that's Muse fucked then.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Anyway - the great thing about recorded music is it’s there forever. I can listen to T Bone Walker, Hendrix, Muddy Waters and Ella Fitzgerald... The music’s not gone just because they’re not contemporary. I’m quite sure there are people still listening to Hanoi Rocks and someone somewhere is hearing Fat Mattress for the first time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    He's probably right for now, certainly in terms of the mainstream.  But surely there'll be some kind of retro guitar revival at some point.  Fingers crossed.
    It's definitely only relevant to mainstream pop. Thankfully the naff pop-punk influenced pop like 5sos doesn't seem to be a thing any more.

There are still bands around primarily using guitar although it is more riff based - Slaves and Royal Blood seem to be doing fine