Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I fancy a p90 guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I love P90s and have 3 guitars with them however as much as i love that tone they are for me unusable for some gigs due to the noise. A noise gate does the trick somtimes but can limit the use of the volume control to clean things up. Obviously mine are all vintage type P90s (Loller) and ive not tried any of the noise cancelling ones for fear of loosing the P90 tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    thegummy said:
    I've been looking into p90 guitars and found there to be a fairly limited range.

Not sure if Jim Adkins Tele has been mentioned yet.

The Yamaha mentioned is worth a look.

I extended my options to putting humbucker-sized p90 in any HH guitar due to the limited options but would probably prefer a real p90 one.
    I had a JA90.  The pickups are way too hot. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't get on with it at all.    

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    I have just decided to sell my Reverend Jetstream 390. Not quite listed on here yet. PM me if interested. 
    Cheers
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    A junior, LP or SG version are both wonderfully wonderful.
  • It's maybe just my imagination but I find soapbar P90's and dogears sound quite different. Dogears always sound more midrangey and swampy to me while soapbars have that growl and more top fizzle to me. Good examples of both are the dogs danglers but maybe something to consider when you make your list of things to try Nelson
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I’ve got a Les Paul, and an SG, with p90s, and a T-type partscaster, with a bridge hb and neck p90. They just seem to work for me, better than humbuckers, and much better than fendery single coils. That’s just how it works for me, it’s very much a personal thing..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Me too - I'm trying not to look at this in the classifieds:

And mostly failing :)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Modern Player Telecaster Thinline............be cool.
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Or a DeArmond Starfire Special semi, with trem - I'm selling one, and could bring to the Birmingham show on Saturday: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/29128/fs-ft-dearmond-starfire-special-sunburst-finish-375-was-450-then-400/p1

• I'd give that Martyn booth guitar in the classifieds at the moment a look. Lovely guitars them ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    A nice 335 with P90s is my favourite. Or a Gibson Midtown P90 is sweet too.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited February 2018
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    My Jazzmaster based custom built job with P90s swiped from a Gibson.  Because Gibson P90s make a righteous din, and JMs look cool as, especially in metallic Flesh Pink.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeacherphilTeacherphil Frets: 128
    edited February 2018
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    My Jazzmaster based custom built job with P90s swiped from a Gibson.  Because Gibson P90s make a righteous din, and JMs look cool as, especially in metallic Flesh Pink.

Nice Jazzmaster, I like them and on the build list

I built a p90 tele but it just didn't sound as good as my les paul special I made, no idea why same wood and construction,  just didn't have it for me

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3451
    Does my 1994 Korean Epiphone Les Paul in shiny black with aged cream plastic bits have p90's? I'm selling that fairly cheap by the way (obvious sales plug there), I'm not sure what the difference is between p90's and humbuckers? 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2018
    JerkMoans said:

I feel a little bit sick now, cos the first glance at this pic on my laptop with the browser zoom set at 110% made it look like your Pink, cream, tort guitar had a beige and beach-towel blue go fast stripe!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I built a p90 tele but it just didn't sound as good as my les paul special I made, no idea why same wood and construction,  just didn't have it for me

Thanks! 

Maybe you just just need to turn it up louder :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    57Deluxe said:I feel a little bit sick now, cos the first glance at this pic on my laptop with the browser zoom set at 110% made it look like your Pink, cream, tort guitar had a beige and beach-towel blue go fast stripe!
    Oh yeah baby! That’s this weekend’s mod job :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer