Escape rooms?

What's Hot

Escape rooms? good thing or bad thing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I’ve done it twice.

One was excellent, with superb attention to detail and was genuinely an exciting and challenging thing.

The other one was absolutely naff, with hardly any thought at all put into it. 

So in short, I guess like most things, product quality varies depending on who is supplying it
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Took my kids. They escaped :(
    Oh and we also did this - called ‘Hell in a Cell’

https://bristolhorrorescape.com/

It was amazing. 
  • We have several here in AbDab and Dubai. They're good fun. Of the ones I've done, the quality ranges from "some stuff in boxes with combination padlocks and paper clues" to "Fallout-themed room with multiple rooms, electrically-controlled doors, tasks like actual metal detection and full-scale high-quality props (including a frickin' laser rifle)" 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • anyone done the Trappd escape rooms at Peterborough?

https://trappd.com/book-now/peterborough/

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited February 2018

I went to the one at the Excel in London for my mate's stag. It was pretty good.

2 rooms, one easier than the other (both were tougher than they should have been as we were all half cut).

Both had hidden doors / rooms etc. Had to use endoscopes etc. to find some clues / keys. It was pretty well put together and enjoyable.

The easy one we escaped with about half an hour left on the clock, the harder one we got out but only with about 15 seconds to spare.

A good way to spend a few hours I'd say.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

No one's done it.  Apparently there are gangs of people still wandering around in there since it started. 

In short it is quite difficult.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wife looking to book us in for my birthday, I might shove her in the door with a bowl of her stew then lock it and disappear to the pub for an hours peace, she'll never figure it out.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not sure if you have the ‘locked in a room’ chain of them where you are, if they even are a chain rather than just a Bristol outfit, but that was the one that was really good. Went to another operated by ‘city mazes’ and it was awful  
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Not sure if you have the ‘locked in a room’ chain of them where you are, if they even are a chain rather than just a Bristol outfit, but that was the one that was really good. Went to another operated by ‘city mazes’ and it was awful  

Doesn't look like it, Peterborough or Norwich are the closest

• Have done 3, escaped 3.

2 were really fun, one of those quite difficult.  The third one was pretty simple despite being rated at medium difficulty, genuinely reckon I'd have escaped that one on my own with time to spare.

Definitely fun with the right group of people.  But the quality of the challenges varies, so try to go for one with good reviews.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Took wife  for her birthday when she was pregnant and couldn't do traditional birthday shenanigans and get silly drunk.
    Had a great time. We keep on intending to return.. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I've done one in York for a mate's 40th and it was brilliant - we had two teams do two matching rooms at the same time like a race. You had an hour to escape and both team's finished within the last minute!

A friend also bought a DIY kit from  website and set it up at his house for us, and that was brilliant too (although he made it a bit hard by putting in too many decoy clues!).
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    Did the Locked in a Room one at the Excel in Docklands as a work social event. There were over 30 of us in 6 rooms simultaneously and everyone really enjoyed it. All of our groups made it out but it varied from 15 minutes left to 10 seconds left.  

I live in Peterborough and don't think I knew about this one. I've done a couple of different ones in the city, one paid for by work and one paid for myself. They're expensive for what they are, though I enjoyed both and think they're quite well done.

I'm gonna try that one out. One of the companies I've used have opened one in the Priestgate Vaults which are 'secret' corridors into the Cathedral. I imagine that'd be a good setting.

https://www.escape-peterborough.co.uk/book-now
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Did one with work mates. Started a bit slow, but ten minutes in we were all getting stuck in! Great bit of fun!