Go betweens - Grant and I

I just read this - having never heard a note of their music - regardless, it was an an incredibly engaging read and I'll approach their back catalogue from an informed perspective.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Damn.  Another one to add to the pile...I've got Waging Heavy Peace, Open Up And Bleed, Born To Run and Girl In A Band stacked up and glowering at me!

You can't go wrong with 16 Lovers Lane as a starting point, but before that, I really really like Spring Hill Fair.  Critics tend to classify SHF as a bit of a stepping stone album (from their earlier, earthier sound to more-polished pop) but some of the songs are among their very best, and the Forster/McLennan balance is just perfect on this one...Five Words is probably my favourite co-write of theirs.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Damn.  Another one to add to the pile...I've got Waging Heavy Peace, Open Up And Bleed, Born To Run and Girl In A Band stacked up and glowering at me!

You can't go wrong with 16 Lovers Lane as a starting point, but before that, I really really like Spring Hill Fair.  Critics tend to classify SHF as a bit of a stepping stone album (from their earlier, earthier sound to more-polished pop) but some of the songs are among their very best, and the Forster/McLennan balance is just perfect on this one...Five Words is probably my favourite co-write of theirs.

Ah - I've ordered 16 Lovers Lane on CD for a £1!!! Chiefly because in the book Forster describes its rhythmic feel as having 'narcotic thrust' - and that'll do me! 

It'll be interesting to hear their music after only reading about it. 

I'd certainly recommend the book. Its excellently written and really draws you in......sorry - it is another addition to the pile - in fact if you PM your address I'll send you my copy?
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Pretty much anything by the Go Betweens and the solo albums of Robert and Grant are worth hearing. There's also a great live DVD. 
  • I'm no expert on the Go-Betweens, but I do like Robert Forster's last album "Songs to Play".