boogie guys pop in for a mo

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

you know that voltage selector on the back of the European boogies?, where should that ideally be set in the uk, 220,230 or 240?

and question 2 folks....which do you prefer and why...mark 3s or 4s?

many thanks :)

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

do I hear an advance on 230?

:)

ta bro

tae be or not tae be
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Mk3's for me , the Mk4 is a complicated heavy old beast with knobs not really suited to those with thick fingers, and I preferred the sound of the Mk3 tbh, which is all that it comes down to .
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    are tha mark 3s cleans better ya think?
    tae be or not tae be
    I felt them a lot sweeter, the Mk4 always felt a bit "synthetic" for want of a better phrase, and my back didn't care for the chore of hefting the Mk4 about ;).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    240V if it has a setting for it, 230 if not, and not 220 unless the only other setting is 110/120V.

I preferred the sound of the MkIII but found it impossible to set up for more than one good sound at once (two just about possible, but not with the sounds I wanted). The MkIV is marginally easier to set up - although it still has the annoyance of partially shared EQ between R1 and R2 - but didn't sound as good… somehow too 'refined' or as sweepy said, 'synthetic'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    In terms of preference: V IV II I III.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited March 2014
    I had a MkIII and loved it (hardwood/wicker cab, Simulclass, graphic, reverb, EV, 'fully loaded' as the Americans would say). It still remains the bench-mark for clean sounds for me. It's true that only two decent sounds were available that could be foot switched between. The crunch 'channel' (it wasn't really a second channel as billed) sounded awful and was markedly louder than the clean channel. I loved the fat-sounding, vocal lead channel. In fact, apart from the fact that it weighed more than a family car, it's hard to think why I sold it....
    octatonic said:
    In terms of preference: V IV II I III.
    I haven't played the V yet, but going by your list I suspect I should avoid it like the plague despite its proper independent (finally!) EQ… since otherwise, my list would be the same but the other way round ;).

I did like the full-on lead tone on the III - the best 'Boogie' sound of any amp they've done - but the clean was never quite as good (at least at any settings which gave the best sounds on Lead) and R2 was awful… so I mostly agree with richardhomer :).

But I much prefer the Rectifiers to any of them anyway :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I heard the clean tone was based on a blackface fender, is that true?

If so, it's a cool way to get that sound plus a bunch of other cool sounds. Though I don't like blackface clean sounds, from the boutique amps I've heard. It's just sterile...
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    240v if there's the option.
    I heard the clean tone was based on a blackface fender, is that true?

If so, it's a cool way to get that sound plus a bunch of other cool sounds. Though I don't like blackface clean sounds, from the boutique amps I've heard. It's just sterile…
    The whole amp is based - initially at least - on a Blackface Fender, and it can get into the ballpark of that sort of clean sound… although stiffer and bolder, in my opinion. Don't buy one to get a good BF clean sound by itself - buy a Boogie for the Boogie lead sound - anything else you can get out of it is just a bonus.

The problem is that on the MkIII, to get the best clean sound you need the bass up and the middle down, which is the opposite of what you need for the best lead sound - in fact if you put too much bass on, the lead channel sounds horrible no matter what you do with the graphic EQ and the pull-switches. And you can't get a good R2 sound at the same time as either of the other channels, if at all.

The MkIV is similar in that although it has a separate lead channel, and R2 is better, R2 still shares its bass and middle EQ with R1, and these still need to be set oppositely to give the best sounds on both channels…

I'm sure they work for some people, but they're very much a love/hate amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, wisdom awarded.  

I heard the Mk 1 in my local being played by a pretty good player, and it sounded amazeballs.  Huge, quite open sounding crunch/lead (I'd always thought they were very compressed sounding).  Never heard the clean :P

So loud for such a teeny amp, too.
    Thanks, wisdom awarded.  

I heard the Mk 1 in my local being played by a pretty good player, and it sounded amazeballs.  Huge, quite open sounding crunch/lead (I'd always thought they were very compressed sounding).  Never heard the clean :P

So loud for such a teeny amp, too.
    If you're in line in front of it, yes - they're also among the most directional amps, which is partly why they're so loud when you are in front.

The MkI is definitely the most open-sounding and least compressed of the Marks, and would be my favourite except that it doesn't quite have enough gain to get that 'Boogie lead' sound without being cranked to ridiculous volume levels… and the 'Boogie lead' sound is the only reason I would want one, although it's still far from my favourite sound.

• I preferred the MKII myself, the MKIII is a great amp, but can be hard to control at times.
    On a different tack, have you tried the Studio 22, a pair of EL84's, still glassy clean , a fair crunch and filth but it doesn't require a chiropractor ;)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6142
    tFB Trader
    I've got a Mark V myself (combo) its probably the most versatile amp I've ever come across. With reference to the original post, 240V is what is supplied in the UK.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    I'v had a mkiii,mkiv and a dc 5 I really wanted to like boogies but just couldn't get on with them.The clean on the mkiii was just gorgeous but couldn't get a good sound out of the other channel's with those eq settings. The mkiv is a lot more versatile but quite bland, the dc5 was my favourite (and the cheapest) And I agree their very directional,if you're standing to the side you can't hear them stand in front of them and they take your head off!