Short notice amp repair in London? - for Fender Deluxe Reverb!

What's Hot
Hey all - I’m lending my Deluxe Reverb to a well known guitarist who’s flying in from America to do a show in london on Sunday. Problem is it’s started making a high pitched squeal every now and then (but otherwise functioning normally), so I’m going to need to get this fixed before Sunday. Have taken to Guitar Aid in Putney in the past, but it’s too short notice or them on this occasion.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for quick repair? I’m assuming it’s the output valve, but can’t be certain. Otherwise I may need to look in to other options. Can potentially get someone a guest list ticket for the concert if there’s no repair solution and any one is happy to provide something similar. Cheers!

James
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @jpfamps if he is free
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited February 2018
    Much more likely to be a preamp valve, probably V2 (vibrato channel gain stages) or V4 (reverb return and vibrato channel gain stage), although it could also be V1 (normal channel gain stages).

V1 is closest to the end of the amp where the normal channel inputs are, then in order from right to left as you look at the back of the amp.

First try pulling V1 and see if the problem stops. The second half of the valve is still active even when the channel is turned off so it could still be this.

If not and you don’t have any spare valves, then use the V1 valve as a temporary spare to test both the other positions. If it works you can leave the V1 position empty if you don’t use that channel. (The vibrato channel will run slightly hotter, but it won’t matter too much.)

If all that doesn’t work or you’re not confident to try it, you do need to find a tech.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    You also need to find a backup amp. 

It could get very embarrassing if you get a problem on Sunday, especially with an amp with a known recent fault and no spare valves. 
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited February 2018
    If you are not confident to do substitution tests as per IC, it is worth pulling the pre-amp valves in and out a few times and also the reverb cables. The problem with an intermittent fault like this is you need time to make sure you have properly eliminated the fault, which you are struggling with (as would an amp tech in this short a time frame to be honest)  
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I'm in my workshop until 7.00 pm this evening.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    How did this get resolved?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

We got it sorted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom