Solo of the Month (SotM) #34 - Chat

What's Hot

Comments

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    edited March 2018
    Definitely no point in the whole loudness thing. Mine’s still quite conservative level wise.

Edit: Just had a listen and mine’s perhaps a touch too hot now.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Sorry @stratman3142 ;  I tend to use my car stereo for listening to mixes in private Soundcloud links and go with a volume that matches Spotify for when I switch across.  I keep forgetting to reduce the volume before sending them to you
    Should I submit it again turned down a touch or leave it be? What do people think?
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    @rowby1 sounds fine to me.

Submitted a remastered version for inclusion (of the same solo).  All this has highlighted to me is that I don't have a fckin clue how to master and I'm just clicking buttons until it sounds brighter. lol
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    Rowby1 said:
    Should I submit it again turned down a touch or leave it be? What do people think?
    Everything's fine. I was just joking earlier. The tracks can be as loud or quiet as you wish.
    It's not a competition.
    Submitted a remastered version for inclusion (of the same solo).  All this has highlighted to me is that I don't have a fckin clue how to master and I'm just clicking buttons until it sounds brighter. lol
    Join the club. I just move sliders until it sounds loud enough and hopefully doesn't distort.

It was also being tongue on cheek because last month my solo was far louder than the rest and gave a nasty surprise halfway through the playlist so I remastered it. We had a discussion about levels which I completely forgot about when it came to recording this one!
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I've often wondered how much difference the loudness makes to the results ...

When listening to others' entries, I try not to be influenced by the different volumes of different tracks. What does put me off is if the solo is unbalanced against the backing - i.e. so loud you can hardly hear the backing or (much rarer) too quiet.

I read a book on (real) mastering, "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz. I thought I knew the basics of mixing music but this was so far beyond my understanding, it was unreal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited March 2018
    Mine is in.

Approach-wise I kept things pretty standard over the Gm, a little bit bluesy, generally keeping to chord tones and targeting the 9th a fair bit.

For the D7#9, I went for D Altered and there is a iim7b5-V7 line to create some tension moving back to Gm.

Over Eb9 - D7#9, the 1st time an Eb7 arpeggio chromatically connecting to a D7 arp. 2nd time using the Eb Lydian Dominant mode with a chromatic line to finish.      
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I just went for as many as i could fit in, in 60s without snapping my g string. 

(She said.)  :o
    I just imagined what David Gilmour might have played (if he was less refined) with the minor pentatonic plus occasional extra notes approach. I have no idea what scales or modes the extra notes hint at.

Oh and I used a Telecaster.
    edited March 2018
    Decided to try and do something different this month so different guitar, amp and approach. 

I think I’m in the lead in the “least number of notes in a solo” category at the moment.

Edit: I counted, 72 notes  :3
    Good work @Rowby1 that's impressively few notes. And @fastonebaz has equally impressively managed top that note count in a single bar. The more varied approaches the better in my opinion 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    Mines in - finally had some time for the first time in ages. I've done it quite quickly to avoid the "not ready to send it then forgetting" approach of most months.

Very enjoyable again. My usual "move the major scale shape around until it sounds ok then play pentatonic if you get lost" approach. I've not played many notes either ;)  

"A city star won’t shine too far"

...Submitted a remastered version for inclusion (of the same solo).  All this has highlighted to me is that I don't have a fckin clue how to master and I'm just clicking buttons until it sounds brighter. lol

New version in playlist. It might be worth checking I uploaded the correct version. It's been a long day and my brain's not fully in gear.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brad said:
    Mine is in...

Added to playlist and thanks for the info on your approach.

It's not a competition.
    Mines in...

Added to playlist. That makes a total of 7 entries so far.
    It's not a competition.
    What's the link to the playlist?   I checked out the original playlist in the OPs first post and its showing only the original 5.   Maybw my phone has a cached link or something. Cheers
    Ignore me it was my phone caching.  I found thr full playlist and its fine :o
    edited March 2018
    @stratman3142  ;No wait its wrong.   Its got track 9 listed twice and mine isn't listed in the playlist
    Cheers its there now.