NAD (well, not really) Old Marshall Valvestate re-cover

What's Hot
stephen.wood125stephen.wood125 Frets: 217
edited March 2018 in Making & Modding
So, I have a Hot Rod Deluxe that I want to re-cover in Seafoam Green. I also still have one of the first amps I got which is the old 30W Marshall Valvestate I got new in 1992.

Due to the construction and minimal swear inducing corners I figured I would  use it as a practice run, so when I ordered the green, I also added a yard of red levantine vinyl from Allparts.

I used Titebond 3 (after I used some small squares and made several trial runs with different adhesives). I've also stapled the inside parts where they can't be seen.

Took me a few hours and I learnt a bit. If anyone is interested when I do the HRD I will do a more detailed write up.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Tidy job ... arguably, wasted on a VS30R. 

My choice of material for recovering any Marshall Valvestate amplifier would be super unleaded. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, haha! I figured if I made a dog's breakfast of it, I wouldn't lose any sleep, at least it's now a nicer ornament!

Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Nice job!

I don't think it's wasted on a VS30R, these are actually quite good amps - although from memory the stock speaker is (as usual for a cheaper amp) quite poor... it will be some sort of budget Celestion with a Marshall Gold Back sticker I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Good job !  I still have a fondness for Valvestate amps
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I was given one of the stereo chorus Valvestates a few years ago which I passed onto my daughter's boyfriend at the time. I seem to remember thinking that it sounded quite reasonable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    normula1 said:
    I was given one of the stereo chorus Valvestates a few years ago which I passed onto my daughter's boyfriend at the time. I seem to remember thinking that it sounded quite reasonable.
    There’s a great trick with those - if you turn the chorus on but set the rate and depth at zero, you get an automatic-double-tracking effect which is fantastic for heavy rhythm crunch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Nice job!

I don't think it's wasted on a VS30R, these are actually quite good amps - although from memory the stock speaker is (as usual for a cheaper amp) quite poor... it will be some sort of budget Celestion with a Marshall Gold Back sticker I think.
    Thanks! Yes you're absolutely right- down to the finest detail. Exactly; a budget Celestion with a Marshall Gold back sticker!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6809
    Why are there black areas on the edges? Is that a protective cover or the original tolex showing through?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Why are there black areas on the edges? Is that a protective cover or the original tolex showing through?
    Protective strips. It's basically how the cabinet is built, the corner protectors are the corners.