Power Amp Valve and Speaker recommendations for more headroom

What's Hot
ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
Anyone got any suggestions on power valves and speakers that'll give me some more headroom? 

Two-Rock sensor 22, currently running TAD 6v6GTs and a Creamback 65

I have some Groove Tubes 6v6s from a Deluxe Reverb I sold a while ago lying around - not sure if they're and better.

I'm looking for clean headroom and punch.

Cheers!
https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    A Creamback 75, G12H-30 or other 100dB speaker will give a bigger increase in headroom and punch than different valves. (Probably not a V30 unless you want the slight dirty aggressive midrange it has.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    A Creamback 75, G12H-30 or other 100dB speaker will give a bigger increase in headroom and punch than different valves. (Probably not a V30 unless you want the slight dirty aggressive midrange it has.)
    ah thanks, yeah I had a 75 in my old deluxe and liked it a lot, I was also looking at the cannabis rex (102db) and the Redcoat Govenor/Wizard (101.8db) would they potetially punch even more? 

Its quite a dark sounding amp naturally so I suppose I wouldn't mind a brighter speaker
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    ChrisCox1994 said:

ah thanks, yeah I had a 75 in my old deluxe and liked it a lot, I was also looking at the cannabis rex (102db) and the Redcoat Govenor/Wizard (101.8db) would they potetially punch even more?
    Probably not. Eminence ratings tend to be a bit optimistic compared to similar Celestions, in my experience.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    You would probably get away with a Celestion Blue with 2 6V6s in the power section.  It might be a bit dicey if you are running the amp flat out, but if you are after headroom you probably aren't running it flat out.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5037
    On the recommendation of maker Steve Carr I replaced the TADs in my Rambler with JJ 6L6GCs to increase headroom, and it had a noticeable effect. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/