Led Zep take two (or three, or four......)

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5660
I came across these guys earlier today, the influence and sound is pretty undeniable.

Good to see young kids (get me, I sound like my dad!) making a decent noise with guitars.  They seem pretty good, I like.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2610
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader

Wow..  Im not sure how too feel about that.. Its not just influence there, its proper in the style of..

Not being horrible or anything cos it sounded pretty good an all but I wonder what the point is if they are going to be that close in style they may as well be a really good tribute band :)  (which it wouldn't surprise me if that's how they started)...

Hmmm...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22995
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5660
    Rabs said:

Wow..  Im not sure how too feel about that.. Its not just influence there, its proper in the style of..

Not being horrible or anything cos it sounded pretty good an all but I wonder what the point is if they are going to be that close in style they may as well be a really good tribute band :)  (which it wouldn't surprise me if that's how they started)...

Hmmm...

That crossed my mind too but I was trying to remain positive about it. Like you say, if it’s all been done then what’s the point. 

That said, they are very young and just starting out really so give them a while and maybe they’ll find their own thing. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Haych said:
    Rabs said:

Hmmm...

That crossed my mind too but I was trying to remain positive about it. Like you say, if it’s all been done then what’s the point. 
    People said that about Jellyfish, but imho they are one of the greatest bands of all time.

Greta Van Fleet are not on the same level (perhaps this needs the qualifier 'yet') but I'll keep my eye on them.
    They are quite derivative and only seem to have one influence, where Jellyfish were a pastiche of many things.
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    Rabs said:

Hmmm...

That said, they are very young and just starting out really so give them a while and maybe they’ll find their own thing. 

Ohh yeah. Im not really being negative..  They sounded good..  And as you say they are young so have time to do their own thing...  I guess this is as good a way to get attention as any? But still.. To put your music out there in such a way where people are only generally going to compare them to Zep, im not sure if that's a good place to be or not?
    tFB Trader

Ok, so I saw a vid that goes back to 2014.. Thought id see if this Led Zep thing was new for them or not..

If anything this is even MORE like Led Zep  :)

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited March 2018
    Funny old thing innit? Half the forum bemoan the fact that ‘young’ people don’t sound like acts from ‘the good old days’ and the other half (myself included) are very sceptical and a little disappointed when new acts come along sounding like acts from 50 years ago...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    AlexC said:
    Funny old thing innit? Half the forum bemoan the fact that ‘young’ people don’t sound like using from ‘the good old days’ and the other half (myself included) are very sceptical and a little disappointed when new acts come along sound like acts from 50 years ago...

No.. this is WAY more than just sounds like..  They may as well be playing Zeppelin songs....  From the band set up to the singer, guitar solos and main riffs and the mini drum solo at the end... 

And I don't see anyone bemoaning.... They are just SO much like Zep that it cant be ignored... In fact we had already said they sounded good and are young so maybe will take it further and do their own thing (which I hope they do).. I don't see an issue with saying that?

AlexC said:
    Funny old thing innit? Half the forum bemoan the fact that ‘young’ people don’t sound like using from ‘the good old days’ and the other half (myself included) are very sceptical and a little disappointed when new acts come along sound like acts from 50 years ago...
    I guess it’s a shame that nobody is doing anything new but then what is new anymore, what can be done that’s significantly different from what’s been before?

Its also a bit of a catch 22. New, original and pushing the boundaries doesn’t usually get many fans or sell many records. Seems the only way to make a career in the music industry is to adopt a tried and tested formula. 

Still, it’s good that they’re very good young musicians and will hopefully keep guitar based music going a bit.

But, I do wonder if bands that adopt such a strong likeness to a band of yesteryear are living in a nostalgic denial and can’t accept they weren’t born in the right decade to enjoy the real thing first time round so they keep their fav band alive by almost becoming them. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4146

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I like them. And they can undeniably play. I wasn’t criticising the forum or any particular posts... just making an observation that young doing old appeals to some people and young coming up with new (if indeed that IS possible) appeals to some people more, or really turns some people off. 
    There was a lot of 50s styled stuff around in the 80s if I remember, for example. Shakin Stevens and Stray Cats and a rake of others... Perhaps it’s the ‘listening to your parents record collection’ cycle of music... Maybe?
    Anyway, I agree. GVF - good band. Let’s see where they take it.
    Rabs said:

Ok, so I saw a vid that goes back to 2014.. Thought id see if this Led Zep thing was new for them or not..

Some major timing/tightness issues with that one.
    It isn't loose, in the way Zep are loose- they are just out of time.

Good to see they have progressed- I hope they shake their influences a bit- or at least get a few more.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    I remember seeing a band called The White who, whilst not a tribute/cover act, had a setlist of soundalikes. Must have been 20 years ago.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    octatonic said:
    Rabs said:

Some major timing/tightness issues with that one.
    It isn't loose, in the way Zep are loose- they are just out of time.

Good to see they have progressed- I hope they shake their influences a bit- or at least get a few more.
    I agree completely - this one is fairly awful, down to stealing Page & Plants posture and stage moves, but the current stuff is fairly decent, if derivative. 

I am however, despite the whinging, quite looking forward to hearing if they broaden the sound and allow a bit more of themselves to come through.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Had a bit of a listen to their album, rather than the live videos and it is a lot tighter in that 'been gridded in Pro Tools' kinda way.

Compared to the Temperance Movement or Rival Sons (or even something like Radio Moscow) they aren't yet on nearly the same level but I gather they are a lot younger than those bands.
    Wake me in two more albums.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4716
    Im an old fogey and could listen to this all day.  Not quite being Led Zep adds to it as I'm so familiar with them as to be bored on occasion.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Like Led Zep but much better .. I like them.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    I missed Led Zep, I’m 41 this year so missed them and my parents being quite a bit older (they were both 40+ by the time I came along) had much older tastes in music so I was never exposed to Zep until I was late teens/early 20s - streaming wasn’t the same back then. 

Id heard so much about them and how great they were that when I actually did hear them it was a bit “meh, really?” to me, so I do share the same sentiments to be honest. I like them, they’re good, I acknowledge the sound but also prefer it. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited March 2018
    Haych said:
    Fretwired said:
    I missed Led Zep, I’m 41 this year so missed them and my parents being quite a bit older (they were both 40+ by the time I came along) had much older tastes in music so I was never exposed to Zep until I was late teens/early 20s - streaming wasn’t the same back then. 

Id heard so much about them and how great they were that when I actually did hear them it was a bit “meh, really?” to me, so I do share the same sentiments to be honest. I like them, they’re good, I acknowledge the sound but also prefer it. 
    I saw Led Zep live in their prime .. they were good. Things have changed. The standard of musicianship is much higher (on average), equipment is better and sound recording and videos are better (even though I suspect many are 'tweaked' with some subtle post-production).

The band is good but I've read they have taken stick in the USA where they are seen as ripping Led Zep off. Someone odd view given Zep ripped off many black blues artists.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3089
    edited March 2018
    Lotta fun, lotta fun. Some real comedy moments on the album (in a good way). Very enjoyable indeed.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"