Jet City Speaker advice

What's Hot
GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
Just bought a Jet City JCA20H and matching 1x12 cab from a mate.  Took the head to rehearsal last night and used a studio 4x12 instead of the 1x12.   I've not yet heard the amp with the stock cab.  My mate says he found the stock cab a bit bright/harsh/brittle (can't remember which of those words he used)

Does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative speaker to load the cab with that will work nicely?  Or could I just roll the presence off the amp and deal with it that way?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited March 2018
    I stuck a Jensen Jet Tornado Neo in mine and it worked famously! Much better than the stock speaker. That was a JCA20HV head and the matching cab.

That speaker has been in a variety of combos and cabs actually, and its never failed to impress.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31631
    The Celestion Classic Lead 80 is a great match for the 20h, it's bloody loud too. 
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I swapped from WGS Retro 30"'s to a pair of. Celestion G12k-100's as the Retro 30 were too bright for my Custom 20. It proved to be a great move. They're not nearly as bright. Turned out to be exactly what was looking for. They work very well with the Soldano sound.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Try the cab first, I have the 112s+ cab and the stock eminence is quite bright to start with but warms up after it has broken in. I swapped it out a few times, the best being a well used G12H 30 but have recently put the stock one back in and it suits the cab well.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26664
    The Jet City JCA24S+ 2x12" sounds much better with the stock speakers than the 1x12", just FYI.

However, in terms of more practical advice...I've tried a whole load of speakers with the Jet City gear, and the one that worked the best in the 1x12" was the Celestion V-Type. Lovely for practically any style (clean cleans, classic rock/blues, heavy rock, metal), and not too expensive either.
    <space for hire>
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    2 months on - finally used the amp with stock cab at a gig... Fuck ME it is bright...  Had to turn off the presence and treble down to about 9o'clock.

Definitely needs a new speaker in there as it's almost unusable like it is.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26664
    Gulliver said:
    2 months on - finally used the amp with stock cab at a gig... Fuck ME it is bright...  Had to turn off the presence and treble down to about 9o'clock.

Definitely needs a new speaker in there as it's almost unusable like it is.
    The presence knob on those amps is all but useless - I never set it above zero, except when I was just using the JCA22H as a power amp. Oddly, if you do the depth mod, the presence control becomes more usable.

Still...as I said, the 1x12" isn't really very good with the stock speakers. It's almost like they were voiced for the 2x12" and then just shoved into the smaller cab "just because".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom