The Simplici-P

What's Hot
Just thought I'd share Day 1 of my P-bass build ... =)

Storm fall wood from the garden. Sycamore neck blank has been in the house, I dug the ash slab out of the logstore this afternoon ... both about 4 years drying.

All I've done today is make a paper template and rough cut the body and made a start on cutting the neck until rain stopped play for woodwork on the patio ... (sawdust blows away in the wind ... )

It will be in the style of the Simplici-T I made with the same wood:

You can read about that build here: http://edwn.org/sim.htm

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    What's the thinking behind the jack position. Haven't H&S stuck a DO NOT USE sticker on it for the obvious trip hazard? ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edwnedwn Frets: 10
    edited March 2018
    @Gagaryn It makes sense for me as I only play sitting down and facing my gear. So the cable can drape elegantly over to the DI/Channel Strip/ for recording. Also it's the closest to the pickup. So the shortest wire possible which of course makes the best sound ;-) ...

The white wire is an afterthought ... it earths the (wooden) bridge by intertwining with the through strings. I'd been hoping to get away without it, but, single coil .... :-)

Looking at it now, I could probably cut off the bottom wing of the body, carve a cable channel, and glue it back on again ....hindsight!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7822

you could drill from the neck pocket to under the bridge, and drill down to meet the hole (as long as you were careful ;)  )
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • edwnedwn Frets: 10
    @Paul_C thanks for the tip. I used my 300mm masonry drill bit to drill sideways just a few cm and it took a looooong time. But I can't find long wood drill bits any where ...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    edwn said:
    @Paul_C thanks for the tip. I used my 300mm masonry drill bit to drill sideways just a few cm and it took a looooong time. But I can't find long wood drill bits any where ...
    sarcastic answer

http://bfy.tw/HMRh

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7822

I use auger bits for long holes because it pulls itself through the wood as it cuts so there's less chance of it going astray

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister