I guess this would be a dumb thing to do .....

What's Hot
So, I have a body blank and a template for a body shape design of my own. Annoyingly, the blank is about 6mm too short for the shape! If I put the template at a bit of an angle, rather than inline with the grain I could fit it on, but this would be a silly thing to do I guess???? I'm planning on a black finish with a gold flake top so no grain direction would show.

Other options:

1) Buy another blank (prefer not to)
2) Stick a bit on the end horn and hope I don't bust it off
3) Alter my design (tried this but it doesn't look so good)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Depends how far off it is, you can have the grain a bit angled.  Look at a decent Flying V where the angle often follows the outside edge... that’s about as far as I would go

@Rabs would tell you you can have it going totally the wrong way... I wouldn’t go that far but it works for him
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1680
    Yes, would be a silly thing to do. I understand that you want to get on with it (been there, done that, regretted it), but you know that your design with the blank you have won't work - so don't do it.

If the grain direction realy, really won't show - why are you asking us?
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader

The wrong way...  Ha...  :) 

What kind of wood is it?

I can tell you it worked really really well for this build...

https://i.imgur.com/kXtKs2P.jpg

I had people saying they didn't think it would sustain well cos the grain is going the other way to the neck... It works very well thank you.. The owner of the guitar is very happy with it.

So if you are worried about that side of things, I wouldn't. Of course I could have just got lucky?  :)

I did do another one but im not so sure about it yet.. I have to go back to it and try it again soon.

https://i.imgur.com/xRIxsr7.jpg

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Yeah, “the wrong way” was exactly what I meant ;)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Slice it half in two and offset the pieces? Have done that in similar situation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    If it’s only 6mm short the angle will be minimal. There are old Fender offsets with it like this, it makes no difference.

There are photos somewhere here of a Gordon Smith with it off by about 30 degrees... no-one noticed it was any worse than usual until the finish was taken off!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Thanks for the input all, so ...... it's not totally mad. I'm considering it but my OCD side is twitching violently in the background. I may just mod the body shape, equally annoying but at the end of the day no-one else will know it was different and I probably won't notice myself over time ...... I hope.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Performance-wise - strength or sound - it will be absolutely fine.  It's only the aesthetics and that is only valid if it's a trans or natural finish.
    To be honest, unless the piece of wood is unusually straight-grained, there is no precisely-defined 'grain direction' for most pieces anyway - there's always a bit of leeway, even if it's only a degree or two. You might even find that it works better if you turn it over - since the shape you're proposing must be asymetrical if tilting it slightly makes it fit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    To be honest, unless the piece of wood is unusually straight-grained, there is no precisely-defined 'grain direction' for most pieces anyway - there's always a bit of leeway, even if it's only a degree or two. You might even find that it works better if you turn it over - since the shape you're proposing must be asymetrical if tilting it slightly makes it fit.

Yeah but it is two pieces joined. so the join would be wonky!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Could you upload some photo's of the blank in question plus overlaid outline?
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Kalimna said:
    Could you upload some photo's of the blank in question plus overlaid outline?
    Good point. If the extra timber is needed for a horn (where the strap pin goes) maybe a contrasting wood insert can be set in the horn to extend it...
    axisus said:

Yeah but it is two pieces joined. so the join would be wonky!
    In that case it makes sense to unjoin it, and offset the join as Corvus said. I assumed it was a one-piece which was why you wouldn't want to do that...

I think you are overthinking it if it's going to be a solid colour though. The 1965 Jaguar I had was a sunburst and it didn't look odd, even though the joins were quite a long way off parallel to the centreline.

ICBM said:

In that case it makes sense to unjoin it, 

How would one go about that?
    axisus said:

How would one go about that?
    Saw through the joint, then plane the two sides flat again.

Unless that then makes the blank too narrow! Which no doubt it will :).