Variax - a bit meh?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
I bought one about 4 years ago to try a transplant. Ended up in the loft as I lost the cables etc. I chanced across that cables a couple of days ago and I thought I'd give it a spin. To be honest it all seemed a bit dull to me. The Tele sounds didn't sound like a tele, the strat sounds didn't sound like a strat, the LP sounds didn't sound like an LP, and by the time I plugged into my often used high gain sound with delay and reverb they all sounded the same!

Any fans out there? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    Steve Howe used to like em and used them live I believe.

Like you they never really impressed me when I tried one,
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    I did a rehouse as my first guitar build and like it. 

The Tele models sound like Teles, the Strat models sound like Strats and so on.

With enough gain, deejay and even, ask guitars do sound the same so that sounds pretty authentic.

The base guitar was OK if you remembered that half the money went on the electrics so it was never going to be on a par with a same price guitar that just had a couple of magnets wrapped with wire...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I think they sound OK unless you make the mistake of comparing them to the real thing. At that point even the cheapest Strat, Les Paul or whatever sounds better.

To me the most useful purpose for them is being able to use more unusual 'guitars' at a gig without having to carry multiple extra instruments - eg resonator, 12-string etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    edited March 2018
    My first electric guitar was a Variax, when they first came out. I found it useful for giving me an idea of how different electric guitars sound, but I soon discovered that a Mexican Strat sounded better and had much more sustain than the one on the Variax.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    Collings said:
    Steve Howe used to like em and used them live I believe.

Like you they never really impressed me when I tried one,
    I think I've seen video of him using one instead of an acoustic.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I find them pretty unimpressive.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I think the Strat emulation sounds more like a Stratocaster than a real Stratocaster does. If that makes sense? Maybe it's over-egged?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I’ve seen ( well, via YouTube anyway ) some reasonably big bands use them. Quite popular in folk rock bands, one of Stevie Nicks’ guitarists and the back up guy in the Doobie Brothers also come to mind. Always the utility guy or gal playing  them , in a band context I guess they sound close enough to the real thing for some stuff without the hassle of multiple instruments some of which might also be a mild PITA to amplify. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I think the Strat emulation sounds more like a Stratocaster than a real Stratocaster does. If that makes sense? Maybe it's over-egged?
    Mine really doesn't sound stratty at all??? Maybe someone buggered things up with the editor before selling. I'll have to see if I can reset to factory defaults.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    They actually sound quite good .. the original guitar was a stinker though. I used one for recording and its pretty convincing in a mix.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    My brother in law uses one and he loves it but I can’t say I’m a fan, to me it just does sound like a “real” guitar...
    We are all Chameleons...
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Didn't it have a banjo and sitar sound?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    I've got one (haven't used it much though) from watching a few youtube videos it looks like it's the same and any other modeller where the presets aren't much to write home about and you have to use the editor to create your own.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Adrian Belew has the Variax technology built into his Parker signature model guitar. Unfortunately, because he adds so much signal processing after the guitar, it is difficult to say how closely the digital modelling resembles the real instruments on which it is based.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2018
    Tried a james taylor variax jtv 59 at Yamaha Music at the same time as trying the Yamaha Pacifica 611vfm.  

Build quality and playability was very good & I liked the ability to set different tunings.  It's 'own' pick-ups were surprisingly good too. However, modelling tones were unconvincing and I found the controls really awkward not least because you have to refer to a complex list to see which/where each guitar model is and what the pick-up selector does.  Fine in a studio but a nightmare at a gig unless you set your favourites for easier switching.  It does take some getting used to but ultimately it just wasn't for me.

I ended up buying (not from the store) a pre-owned but near mint 611VFM which gives me some nice Humbucker, p90 tones & combinations.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    As I’ve said in other Variax threads - surely the trick is to have the electronics in a floor board, with good displays and an intuitive user interface - with piezo saddles that can be retro-fitted to popular guitar designs.
    As I’ve said in other Variax threads - surely the trick is to have the electronics in a floor board, with good displays and an intuitive user interface - with piezo saddles that can be retro-fitted to popular guitar designs.
    So a Roland VG-88..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited March 2018
    Sporky said:
    So a Roland VG-88..

Yes
    edited March 2018
    That was an ace bit of kit.

If they'd combined that with the full GT effects engine and used a less ridiculous cable...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Sporky said:
    If they'd combined that with the full GT effects engine and used a less ridiculous cable.

VG-99
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.