Split from the GuitarTheft thread

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    57Deluxe said:
    Where do you think they will try to sell the guitar?
    Suspect that it's been stolen-to-order, so it won't actually pop up for sale anywhere for quite some time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Whitecat said:
    57Deluxe said:
    Where do you think they will try to sell the guitar?
    Suspect that it's been stolen-to-order, so it won't actually pop up for sale anywhere for quite some time.
    Could be exported- lots and lots of cars stolen to order go to the middle east and China.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    mikem8634 said:
    The first thread on this topic featured this from @Dominic -

"You only have to look at the woman to see where that's going unless it gets sold in Germany on the way which I would think is most likely"

@TTony I'd be interested to know if you consider there to be any casual racism in that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

"You only have to look at the woman to see where that's going unless it gets sold in Germany on the way which I would think is most likely"

@TTony I'd be interested to know if you consider there to be any casual racism in that.
    No.

*IF*, someone of a particular appearance, associated with any race , had walked into the shop, and everything was immediately locked based on their (racial) appearance, or a security guard had started following them around the shop, then they might be able to claim that the response was discriminatory, based on their racial appearance, and thus racist.

However, if the shop had been regularly targeted by people of the same appearance, then whether such a response is discriminatory or sensible is up for discussion.

But, as she's been proven to be a thieving cow, suggesting a likely destination for the stolen goods based on racial appearance isn't discriminatory, it's an assumption based on, or a deduction from, the available data.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    A lot of people (in general not just on here) seem confused between what is racism and what is a generalisation.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Whatever else they may be, they're both still thieving scumbag fuck-pigs.

This.

/thread.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    TTony said:
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

No.

*IF*, someone of a particular appearance, associated with any race , had walked into the shop, and everything was immediately locked based on their (racial) appearance, or a security guard had started following them around the shop, then they might be able to claim that the response was discriminatory, based on their racial appearance, and thus racist.

However, if the shop had been regularly targeted by people of the same appearance, then whether such a response is discriminatory or sensible is up for discussion.

But, as she's been proven to be a thieving cow, suggesting a likely destination for the stolen goods based on racial appearance isn't discriminatory, it's an assumption based on, or a deduction from, the available data.
    Point 1 - The response was based on their (racial) appearance but they only MIGHT be able to claim it was discriminatory, based on their racial appearance, and thus racist. Why only might?

Point 2 - Wouldn't that be racial profiling? Is that okay?

Point 3 - It wasn't a suggestion it was presented as a certainty fed by a stereotype. It is a statement that is based on zero facts, contains zero facts and yet draws a certain conclusion. To call it a deduction from data is quite a spin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    mikem8634 said:
    TTony said:
    mikem8634 said:
    mikem8634 said:

No.

Point 1 - The response was based on their (racial) appearance but they only MIGHT be able to claim it was discriminatory, based on their racial appearance, and thus racist. Why only might?

Point 2 - Wouldn't that be racial profiling? Is that okay?

Point 3 - It wasn't a suggestion it was presented as a certainty fed by a stereotype. It is a statement that is based on zero facts, contains zero facts and yet draws a certain conclusion. To call it a deduction from data is quite a spin.
    But no one cares, they're fucking scumbag thieves who walked into a shop and out with an £11k guitar. 
    They wanted taking round the back, beating with a 3x2 with nails in and throwing in a fucking skip
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • But no one cares, they're fucking scumbag thieves who walked into a shop and out with an £11k guitar. 
    They wanted taking round the back, beating with a 3x2 with nails in and throwing in a fucking skip
    Have you seen the bloody price of skips....nearly as much as the guitar's worth...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    But no one cares, they're fucking scumbag thieves who walked into a shop and out with an £11k guitar. 
    Have you seen the bloody price of skips....nearly as much as the guitar's worth...
    Tell me about it, I've had two in the last two weeks! 
    Sadly no thieving scumbags to throw in them though :)
  • But no one cares, they're fucking scumbag thieves who walked into a shop and out with an £11k guitar. 
    Tell me about it, I've had two in the last two weeks! 
    Sadly no thieving scumbags to throw in them though :)
    The thieving bollocks round my way are so lazy they fall asleep in 'em on copper pinching manoeuvres...

Causes the skip drivers no end of concern. 
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, but that's not true is it?

And my guess is if you managed to apprehend them you wouldn't do want you suggest here, you would phone the police and obey the rule of law. Wise move.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited March 2018
    TTony said:

Dominic said:
    and I feel so humbled by having dared to suggest that the woman looked Roma ..........seems to have upset one chap
    Oh ,look it's snowing today

He asked me to  review that post for casual racism.

There is nothing racist in that quote.  
    Going out on a limb and probably heading to a cooler near shefguitar I'd say it is casual racism. I work for a number of public sector agencies who would class that as casual racism.  Why? A woman who stole a guitar was described as being Roma - why not just Eastern European or Spanish or Italian or Indian (the Romani people are from northern India)? There was a theft so Roma was the first thing that came to mind - the shop had been 'gypped' ..

Look how the police describe the woman .. 

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    mikem8634 said:
    Well i guess your probably right, a few offended at everything types (Racist?) and that's racist finger pointers are.
    They still need a beating and throwing in a skip however the woman was described, racist to some and not to others.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Shopkeepers may be wary of shifty looking teens in hoodies , and those teens may feel unfairly profiled but maybe experience has taught the shopkeeper that similarly dressed youths in their area are often on the rob.

Most good con-artists are convincing and look the part.....

In the case of the couple they looked like a pretty respectable middle aged couple and the shopkeeper may have assumed that high end guitars would be their choice as they looked like they had deep pockets (Turns out she did have very deep pockets).

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mikem8634 said:
    Well i guess your probably right, a few offended at everything types (Racist?) and that's racist finger pointers are.
    They still need a beating and throwing in a skip however the woman was described, racist to some and not to others.
    As I edited above - And my guess is if you managed to apprehend them you wouldn't do want you suggest here, you would phone the police and obey the rule of law. Wise move.

If you are suggesting that I am offended by anything that has been posted then you are wrong.
    edited March 2018
    Shopkeepers may be wary of shifty looking teens in hoodies , and those teens may feel unfairly profiled but maybe experience has taught the shopkeeper that similarly dressed youths in their area are often on the rob.

Most good con-artists are convincing and look the part.....

In the case of the couple they looked like a pretty respectable middle aged couple and the shopkeeper may have assumed that high end guitars would be their choice as they looked like they had deep pockets (Turns out she did have very deep pockets).
    Good point. The difference in being wary of hoodies and racial profiling, of course, is that you can always wear something else.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited March 2018
    Could people stop being offended on behalf of other people please, and also stop reading posts and looking for implications that were never there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    Could people stop being offended on behalf of other people please, and also stop reading posts and looking for implications that were never said.
    If that is, at least in part, directed at me, does it make any difference at all that I keep telling people that I'm not offended? I know what offended feels like, and this isn't it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    mikem8634 said:
    underdog said:
    Could people stop being offended on behalf of other people please, and also stop reading posts and looking for implications that were never said.
    If that is, at least in part, directed at me, does it make any difference at all that I keep telling people that I'm not offended? I know what offended feels like, and this isn't it.
    Well, in that case...just like the choice of teens to not wear a hoodie, you could always choose to stop banging on about it in an effort to be Right On The Internet.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom