Amps with no fx loop

What's Hot
hi all,

im currently using a laney vc30 2x12 amp but considering upgrading to something smaller but better,  a vox or fender especially for gigging as the laney is a pain to lug around.

only issue is the laney has an fx loop with it’s own volume/level pot, which I’m throwing some spacey reverb and delay through at half volume for some background swirlyness and it sounds ace. I just don’t get the same effect from running into the front end with the rest of my chain.

just wondering if there is an easy or alternative fix that could recreate this on an amp without a loop, or with one with a loop that hasn’t got a level adjustment. 

Any ideas? Is it easy (for an amp tech) to create an effects loop bypass within an amp and has anyone ever done this?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Boss Line Selector can work like an effects loop. You'll need to use pedals to generate your OD sounds though...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    edited March 2018
    I just put a Metro amps loop in an amp which didn't have one, it also has a bypass switch. 

Anything is possible, it's usually just a question of cost if you don't have the skills yourself. 

EDIT; I just reread your question, and think it would be easier just to reduce the effect level on the effects unit itself?
  • Hi p90.

ive tried adjusting the levels on the pedals and going front end.  It’s works to a degree but not the same. There’s tone suck and the pedals behave different.

its a strange anomaly really and something I’ve discovered totally by accident. The pedals are, in effect, totally maxed out so they are playing their own infinite oscillating tails unaffected by the signal from the rest of my chain. 

I’ll look into the boss LS route too. If I can volume/attenuate the individual loop and play 2 loops at once it could be feasible. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Not being flippant, but if you haven't bought yet and you really want an amp with a loop (and I totally understand why), why not just limit your search to an amp with a loop? There's plenty of flavours out there, or talk to one of the custom builders / modders if you need a combination that really isn't available stock?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    There are some really good small giggable amps with an effects loop. The Orange Rocker 15 springs to mind.
  • I understand the flippancy.

theres a few used amps (some on this site actually) within my price range. An ac15 in particular. No loop though. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Bear in mind that if you're going for a smaller amp to get some power stage compression it'll have a very similar affect on your reverb tails as going in the front end does now. 

The reason your current setup works is because you have enough headroom for your time-based effects. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Bear in mind that there are some amps which are very difficult to fit a loop to properly - those with post-phase-inverter master volume controls. This includes most Vox amps with master volumes, Orange Tiny Terrors etc, and also Matchless amps which have factory-fitted loops. While they can have loops, it won't work quite as you expect because at least some of the amp's distortion will still be after the loop, so it will be more like putting the effects in front of the amp.

If you really want to keep your delay and reverb after the amp's distortion, you need an amp with a proper loop, and it's much easier and cheaper to buy an amp with one than to fit one afterwards.

If you like the sound of the Laney and its loop, your best bet is probably a 1x12" Laney...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Reading into it more I’ll probably stick with the laney for now until funds allow for something more substantial.

The laneys a great amp actually. The inner (brand) snob thinks i should aim higher but it’s serving a purpose though I’m probably due a valve change and service. I’ve replaced a few fuses recently. 

all my dirt comes from pedals into clean amp channel and I don’t use the dirt much in conjunction with the loop delay/verb thing anyway. 

I never go past a quarter of the master volume (rehearsals or gigs). The thought to go smaller and potentially better would mean I would probably swap some of the pedal gain I use for the smaller wattage clean breakup. 

Not to mention saving my back aches in my older age! 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    If weight is the main issue you could replace the speakers with neodymium ones - eg Celestion Creamback Neos - it won't make a *huge* difference compared to the overall weight of the amp, but it will be quite noticeable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not really what you're asking but i replaced my laney vc30 2X12 for the same reason, size and weight for gigging, with a boss katana 100 combo. exactly half the weight. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited March 2018
    hi all,

im currently using a laney vc30 2x12 amp but considering upgrading to something smaller but better,  a vox or fender especially for gigging as the laney is a pain to lug around.

The laneys a great amp actually. The inner (brand) snob thinks i should aim higher but it’s serving a purpose though I’m probably due a valve change and service. I’ve replaced a few fuses recently. 
    Which is exactly why when I bought my VC30 I opted for the VC30-210 - smaller, lighter and with a bit more of a toppier 'vintagy' tone that really cuts through the mix and makes a nice change from a 2x12. I also have the GS112VE extn cab that lets me add a bit more bottom end. The two together are lighter, more compact & easier to carry than the 2x12 version, and its a tonally more versatile set-up than the 2x12.   

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    I've never used an effects loop on any of my amps over the years. Everything just sort of sounded alright out front. No idea what I'm missing. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    soma1975 said:
    I've never used an effects loop on any of my amps over the years. Everything just sort of sounded alright out front. No idea what I'm missing. 
    Depends how much preamp gain you use.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Not all that much to be honest. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.