Why do Amazon prices change so much?

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
I've had a few things in my basket for a couple of weeks now, and the prices are up and down like a yo-yo, sometimes by 20% or more. Even with similar products from the same manufacturer, one might go up while another goes down. 
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Stock levels. Having lots of the same thing in the warehouse costs money. Quite often you'll buy something, which takes the stock below their nominal threshold and the price immediately goes up. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Algorithms.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited March 2018
    It seems a bit odd that you can save money by just placing items in your basket, and then observing them over time. Not that I'm complaining, I've saved enough to cover tonight's beer, wine, & Indian takeaway 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    There was a CD boxed set I was interested in the other day that was just under £20 when browsing using the Amazon App - but twice the price when accessed via their website - even when signed in as me..... Baffled by that one. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    There was a CD boxed set I was interested in the other day that was just under £20 when browsing using the Amazon App - but twice the price when accessed via their website - even when signed in as me..... Baffled by that one. 
    That’s strange, unless they are trying to encourage more users to use their app.
    edited March 2018
    duotone said:
    That’s strange, unless they are trying to encourage more users to use their app.
    There are some very strange things goings on! £50 items jumping to £35 and back again  
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    price optimisation software I expect

In the UK, they started this on petrol stations in the 90s, I was offered a role in a company creating it. It was started by a couple of UMIST professors I think. It looked at stock levels, cost of nearest competitors etc, and changed prices frequently
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018

In the UK, they started this on petrol stations in the 90s, I was offered a role in a company creating it. It was started by a couple of UMIST professors I think. It looked at stock levels, cost of nearest competitors etc, and changed prices frequently
    It could be this. An item that has been sitting dormant in the shopping basket for a while shows interest, but not commitment. I use my basket as a place to remember things I have seen, but won't necessarily buy. I'm guessing they are using a personalised algorithm of some sort, and the crafty buggers have worked out a way to tempt me to buy!
    Amazon also have multiple listings for some products, not all come up in searches

I had a Kindle that broke once (just after the 1 year warranty expired), and they offered me a replacement refurb, the refurb was from a page that didn't come up in searches, I was able to order a couple of very cheap ones for the kids 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    It's all down to Amazon being a logistics company. They're basically a warehouse with a Web front end. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Freebird said:

It could be this. An item that has been sitting dormant in the shopping basket for a while shows interest, but not commitment. I use my basket as a place to remember things I have seen, but won't necessarily buy. I'm guessing they are using a personalised algorithm of some sort, and the crafty buggers have worked out a way to tempt me to buy!
    Are you really saying that I should copy items from my wishlist to my shopping basket and leave them for a few days before clicking on checkout?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    Freebird said:

Are you really saying that I should copy items from my wishlist to my shopping basket and leave them for a few days before clicking on checkout?
    Just use https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/

see what price trends there have been for an item, and set a price alert.

Otherwise save items for later in your basket.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    yes, camel camel camel has saved me a lot of cash
    you can use as an add-on /plugin for chrome and firefox

• BodBod Frets: 1299
    wibble said:

see what price trends there have been for an item, and set a price alert.

Otherwise save items for later in your basket.

Another vote for CamelCamelCamel here.  It's useful to check price history to see if I should wait or buy straight away.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    yes, camel camel camel has saved me a lot of cash
    you can use as an add-on /plugin for chrome and firefox

and Safari ;)

Speaking of Amazon's price changes - I bought a Loudness live CD for £50 odd quid and a few weeks later the price had changed to £30 something I was raging.
  • Algorithms, timkering with prices depending on what's available elsewhere … best one was Gear4music, when I signed in as a "platinum customer" it actually put the price up!  :o
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Algorithms, timkering with prices depending on what's available elsewhere … best one was Gear4music, when I signed in as a "platinum customer" it actually put the price up!  :o
    If it thinks you've got a lot of money, of course it will!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited March 2018
    Freebird said:

I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing Amazon track your behaviour on their site, and then apply a personalised algorithm to maximise their sales. Every night they modify some of the prices and I receive an update in my basket "Important messages for items in your Basket:" which lists the new prices. Some items rarely change in price, while others have some movement.

Update:
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com seems like a good resource, as you can view historical price movements in graph form. I will have to check some prices and compare them to what I have been seeing.