I'll Name That Tune In One (second)

What's Hot
fobfob Frets: 1431
In the car today a song came on the radio without any introduction. Those of us over a certain age knew what it was instantly (George Benson - Give Me The Night). We started to wonder how many songs are identifiable within the first second and it seems the 70s produced lots but there are quite a few from all decades. However, you have to be quite strict - it's amazing how much easier it becomes even with two seconds.

Any classics you'd instantly recognise before that first second is up?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5539
    I do pub quiz. When the music intros round comes on the pen usually gets handed to me to 'get on with it'. I have a good ear/memory for this kinda thing, I've gotten many a song in the first second from the opening note, drums, even a hi-hat once!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I have quite a lot of general knowledge, music or otherwise, but my recall can be painfully slow at times. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    edited March 2018

Loads more... many of them are obvious from the first note.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1211
    I had the same thing in the car the other day. It was Black Betty by Ram Jam. I recognised it before the second chord had finished.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    We used to do a quiz with 50 general knowledge questions followed by 50 music questions... intro rounds like this were accompanied by a guitar solos round called "Fretwankers". I bloody loved it - They went very weird by the end to derail my prowess.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I ran a KaBL competition that was to guess the track from a brief snippet of audio.  Don't think anyone got them all.... I'll see if I can find it.....
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Here you go.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    RobDavies said:
    Here you go.....

Brilliant. I was doing ok until I realised you'd made the first few easy.. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fobfob Frets: 1431
    RobDavies said:
    Here you go.....

Have a wow! I did envisage collecting a few tunes with distinctive intros and posting strictly the first second but it was a lot more work than I anticipated. That extra second or two does make a lot of difference but there are a ton that can be instantly recognised.