DIY Fret level - ebony board, any different? + How to do a falloff on a 24 fret guitar.

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
edited March 2018 in Making & Modding
Super quick questions hopefully.

1.  Is there anything to be aware of or to do differently with an ebony fretboard guitar when doing a fret level?

I've found a few slight high spots on my LTD and fancy sorting it myself, but it'll only be my 3rd go at a fret level and so far I've only done maple board guitars.  Probably an obvious answer to this but I'd rather ask now and look silly than find out the hard way later.

2.  Is a falloff necessary and if so where best to start it on a 24 fret guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    1) if it was a refret, yes, ebony can be quite brittle. but for a fret level the process is the same

2) not necessary, but well worth doing.  Start about the 15th 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks 
  • Hmm so my issue appears to be one of the frets is loose. 

I can't for the life of me find my glue.

Locally I can pick up loctite super glue very quickly, though will that have a narrow enough tip for this kind of thing?

Otherwise it'll be over an hour round trip to get the same stuff I had last time.  If that's what needs to happen so be it...

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    You could use a toothpick to run a couple of drops in there, but you want thin glue not the gel local shops usually have. Also be ready with a kitchen towel, it can wick up to the surface of the board along the frets but a speedy wipe takes care of it.
    edited March 2018
    Do you have a wilkos near you?   They sell a bottle of dirt cheap superglue that is thinner than normal and works well  for this kind off thing.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Massive thanks Wez.

Got to Wilkos just before closing time. Had to get a lift as I just discovered I have a flat tyre... But at least I have glue!
  • Job done and it plays great now.

I’ve got to be honest though I don’t enjoy fretwork. I’m slow at getting it to the level I want and I’m going to be doing it so infrequently I’m going to be slow for a long time.

Shouldn’t need to do any for a while now but I think I’ll probably pay to get it done next time.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I never saw the need for a fall off at the dusty end, if the fret job is good I’ve never known it necessary 
    sweepy said:
    I never saw the need for a fall off at the dusty end, if the fret job is good I’ve never known it necessary 
    If the fret job is good you will never notice it’s there