Blackstar HT1R playing up

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
edited March 2018 in Amps
I decided to get my HT1R out for a bit of practice but it's playing funny buggers, I haven't used it in over a year so lord knows what's going on! With the gain turned down and on low volume it suddenly crackles and goes into loud overdrive as if the gain is turned up to the max then it calms down for a bit then does it again making it useless to play. Any ideas what's going on please? Thank you in advance.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Yes, it needs a coat of looking at  ;) probably no more than the valves being pulled in and out of their bases a few times or possibly a coating of Servisol. At worst, a quick trip to your local amp tech will will definitely sort it.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Crikey bet it scared the crap out of you that.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Sounds like the gain pot may have a faulty connection at the ground end. It could be either the solder joint to the PCB or the rivet between the pin and the track board, or a cracked track board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Might just have got a bit damp? Try leaving it cooking for a day.

If you want to get Blackstar to service it, note they have moved.

NN3 6UE and 01604817817

Dave.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Crikey bet it scared the crap out of you that.
    There may have been a bit of pooing myself!

ecc83 said:

Might just have got a bit damp? Try leaving it cooking for a day.

If you want to get Blackstar to service it, note they have moved.

NN3 6UE and 01604817817

Dave.

Definitely no dampness involved, it has been stored in a warm dry room.

ICBM said:
    Sounds like the gain pot may have a faulty connection at the ground end. It could be either the solder joint to the PCB or the rivet between the pin and the track board, or a cracked track board.
    Thanks @ICBM  I'm guessing it would be cheaper to just replace it rather than get it fixed it being quite a cheap amp?
    zepp76 said:

Thanks @ICBM  I'm guessing it would be cheaper to just replace it rather than get it fixed it being quite a cheap amp?
    Not at all, even if the pot needs to be replaced it should be about a £30-£40 job at most, depending on the tech's minimum charge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

Not at all, even if the pot needs to be replaced it should be about a £30-£40 job at most, depending on the tech's minimum charge.
    Ok cool, I'll have a look into it but I don't think there's many decent amp techs in my area.
    zepp76 said:

Ok cool, I'll have a look into it but I don't think there's many decent amp techs in my area.
    If you can't find anyone, as Dave said drop Blackstar a line, they're very helpful in my experience.

Failing that, PM me if you want me to take a look at it - it's not a big thing to post up.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    zepp76 said:

If you can't find anyone, as Dave said drop Blackstar a line, they're very helpful in my experience.

Failing that, PM me if you want me to take a look at it - it's not a big thing to post up.
    Thank you, ill phone them after the weekend and if no joy I'll contact you. Again, thank you for your time.