Reamp feedback mic squeal? PICTURES

ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
edited March 2014 in Studio & Recording
I've just tried reamping again.

So, I've recorded a dry signal from my guitar into Reaper using POD Farm and the UX2.  It's totally dry.

Then, I put the analogue out into the input of my amp and the mic into one of the inputs (doesn't matter which one) and boom, off I go.

Except, for some reason, there is a horrendous feedback squeal if I put the mic gain too high, amp volume too high or the analogue output level too high (as in, unity) on the UX2.  

It doesn't happen if I unplug the mic and just crank the output level - so I assume this is a fault somewhere in my line?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just to add information.

I followed these steps (albeit with Reaper) 

When I plugged the output into the guitar amp *without* a mic plugged in, it was fine - letting me adjust how hot I wanted the signal.  

Then, I plugged a mic in and set the input to Mic 1.  This squealed like hell.

Then I swapped to Mic 2 and it still squealed like hell.

The squealing came through the amp, and there was no need for the track to be playing - it would squeal regardless.

Any ideas?

Also, it was fine just recording straight with the guitar plugged in and mic in front.  How odd.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited March 2014
    It definitely sounds like the recorded sound (the mic input) is being fed back out to the amp (the re-amp output) ... and back around again and again (feedback).

I'm guessing somewhere in the maze of software parameters for either your interface or DAW you'll need to mute the 'monitor' output (or whatever it's called. It's stuff like this that makes computer recording really annoying for me.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited March 2014
    Drat. That's a potential issue, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

It doesn't need to be playing the track, though, but if it monitors live, whether recording or not (or playing back or not) then I suppose a loop could still happen.

I'll report back tomorrow mate, thanks.

It also explains how gain, volume, mic gain and output volume would all affect the system, too.
    Yes - just a bit of hiss could start the build up.

I'm afraid I've got precisely zero experience with Reaper or the UX2/POD Farm.

Just make sure that the ONLY audio going to the UX2 reamp output is your dry guitar track. All other tracks, including the input signal from the mic and the currently recording (reamped guitar) track output need to be muted at the UX2's reamp out.

Good luck!

Personally, I find an old-school analogue mixing desk (with real physical knobs and faders) is the best means for routing signals. Computers do my head in (especially when what I really want to be doing is playing the guitar).
    :(
  • This is so annoying.  :(

I literally just want the dry signal to leave the UX2 via analogue out 1 (or 2) and into the amp, then for the mic to pick up that signal.  I really cannot work out where this horrible feedback is coming from.
    Can you just do it by panning, i.e. panning your dry guitar signal(reamp out) hard left and all other signals hard right?
  • Just tried panning, didn't help, still getting squealing feedback... :(
    Have you tried a hammer? A BIG hammer/
    :)
  • Tempted.  I have literally no idea why this should be so difficult.  

When I hit play, the signal leaves the ux2 via headphones and the analogue outputs.  The UX2 then picks it up via the mic.  The track in reaper is recording the mic signal.

Why squeal?!?!?!  ARGH.  
  • Just to further clarify, it works fine when I plug a guitar into the amp and mic up direct, but it's reamping that's causing the feedback.  

And it's making me wonder whether I need a degree in computer engineering to do this.
    They had their good points...

;)
  • I'm starting to agree.

Is there anyone here who uses Reaper to reamp who can help?  I'm pretty lost now.
  • I have resorted to reinstalling Ableton Live Lite, to see if that works any better for me.  

I need to wait for Ableton to let me use my serial number again though...
  • FUCKING FIXED IT

YES

Sadly, I've run out of time to have the amp up at 1 on the volume dial, but i am ready to record.

I've also worked out how to put effects on each track. You click the fx button... But it's cool, I need to work out the best way to use the compressor, and I could use a high pass filter to stop things getting boomy, but other than that, I'm pretty chuffed, and the sound quality is really great.

Sadly, as I can't turn the amp right up, there is a lot of noise for the volume. At higher volume, the noise doesn't increase much more but you get much, much stronger signal so I suspect my demo recordings will be hissy but there might even be a noise gate effect.

Cheers @steamabacus you were right - it was a feedback loop. When I found the source, and muted it, boom, all is well.
    Good to hear. Bloody computers, eh?   :-S

I've just had a play and recorded a little piece using my looper and playing direct into my (analogue) desk and onto my minidisc recorder - didn't even have to switch the computer on (which suits me just fine).
  • steamabacus;192904" said:
    Good to hear. Bloody computers, eh?   :-S

I've just had a play and recorded a little piece using my looper and playing direct into my (analogue) desk and onto my minidisc recorder - didn't even have to switch the computer on (which suits me just fine).

Yeah, I'm a bit of a tech newb. :(

But it's working now. I just need to learn the finer points of recording, effects, noise and mixing now.

That'll keep me busy for a few years...
    I find it helps with these things if you've got a mate who's a professional sound engineer. That's my Top Tip Of The Day.
    :D