The Supermarket Wine Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Breaking the £5 barrier?  What fresh inflationary hell have I stumbled into?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

£3.99 from Aldi, I drink a lot of it and prefer it to many dearer Australian wines
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Waitrose's Triade red (there's a white, too).

Annoyingly, I'm SoL due to a high ALT reading in a routine check at the Dr. :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2018
    Apothic red wine.

It's not a competition.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072

Campo Viejo Gran Reserva Rioja 

£13 minus 25% for 6+ at Sainsburys
    = £9.75

I bought a few cases for about £8 at costco during an offer period last year
    We get through a fair bit of this and their others depending on offers. I like a bit of Faustino too. I like a bit of rioja. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Top marks to Aldi for their new Exquisite Collection wines. Especially the Australian Riesling which I've just enjoyed with some home made Gravlax. Very pleasant.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Gravlax
    Is that a gritty form of laxative?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Now that I've googled it, tbh I'm surprised that a sweet white would go with a fish dish. Unless the Australian Riesling is not as sweet as the German Rieslings I'm used to drinking (I wouldn't have one with fish, I'd want something more dry).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    There are lots of dry Rieslings these days.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    There are lots of dry Rieslings these days.
    ylsned :)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5421
    Asda's got a fairly strong Italian complement these days. The Valpolicella Ripasso and Morellino di Scansano are both good values at around £8-ish.

Aldi and Lidl are killing it too but I find that their stocking levels are extremely variable... I've been known to buy a case and a half one day and the next time walk out with nothing because the shelves are empty. If they can sort supply-chain issues it would be even better.
    Now that I've googled it, tbh I'm surprised that a sweet white would go with a fish dish. Unless the Australian Riesling is not as sweet as the German Rieslings I'm used to drinking (I wouldn't have one with fish, I'd want something more dry).
    "An exceptional dry Riesling showing a characteristic steeliness to the green apple, lime and grapefruit notes. Citrus softens to subtle tangerine and the refreshing minerality creates a sustained and mouth-watering finish. Delicious with seafood, mild Chinese and Thai dishes, or salads."

I can vouch! B)

• slackerslacker Frets: 2237
    Tescos or Co op often have the following at around £15

chateauneuf du pape

• SporkySporky Frets: 28175
    Fuengi said:
    "An exceptional dry Riesling showing a characteristic steeliness to the green apple, lime and grapefruit notes. Citrus softens to subtle tangerine and the refreshing minerality creates a sustained and mouth-watering finish. Delicious with seafood, mild Chinese and Thai dishes, or salads."

I can vouch! B)

I should probably get some of that. That sounds lovely.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    @Sporky @Fuengi yep, worth a try :)
  • Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages is around a tenner  and probably worth about that. Sometimes it's on offer - really delicious red. 

I like my wines balanced and easy to drink - I've heard it described as "quality table wine" rather than "interesting wine". Interesting wines don't do much for me, but I think my tastes just struggle to pick them apart. 

Odd, as I have no trouble with coffees and cocktails. 
  • docbakerdocbaker Frets: 30
    I would tend to take my £10-15 to a local wine merchant (Oddbins too if you have one) and ask what they suggest. For less than a tenner try the Co-op, the advice is not there, but whoever their buyer is, knows what they are doing, and the price-quality ratio seems pretty good.

In general I think that supermarket ranges are simply too wide, unless you take the time pick your way through, but life is too short. Avoid 3 for £10, a £5 bottle allows about 37p for the wine, the rest is duty, vat, packaging, logistics, margin. A £10 bottle allows about £2.80 for the wine, so the more one pays the better the quality, usual thing.

Majestic - well they have thinned their range of late, and to get a comparable price to elsewhere one has to buy 2.

If you are looking for sparkling, think of Cava (made the same way as champagne), Waitrose have a Codorniu vintage for about £11, so much better than sugary monotone Prosecco (made in bulk in tank); for Champagne head for the Co-op, they have a non-vintage made for them by Heidsieck for about £16 the last time I looked, terrific quality for the price, they do a vintage too at a little over £20.

I could go on ...
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    docbaker said:
    I would tend to take my £10-15 to a local wine merchant (Oddbins too if you have one) and ask what they suggest. For less than a tenner try the Co-op, the advice is not there, but whoever their buyer is, knows what they are doing, and the price-quality ratio seems pretty good.

In general I think that supermarket ranges are simply too wide, unless you take the time pick your way through, but life is too short. Avoid 3 for £10, a £5 bottle allows about 37p for the wine, the rest is duty, vat, packaging, logistics, margin. A £10 bottle allows about £2.80 for the wine, so the more one pays the better the quality, usual thing.

Majestic - well they have thinned their range of late, and to get a comparable price to elsewhere one has to buy 2.

If you are looking for sparkling, think of Cava (made the same way as champagne), Waitrose have a Codorniu vintage for about £11, so much better than sugary monotone Prosecco (made in bulk in tank); for Champagne head for the Co-op, they have a non-vintage made for them by Heidsieck for about £16 the last time I looked, terrific quality for the price, they do a vintage too at a little over £20.

I could go on ...
    I agree with much only that, there is an excellent wine merchant I use next the the fish market in Portsmouth, but that's not particularly useful information on a thread like this. 

Totally agree about Cava, it's hugely underrated. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I've had £50 a bottle stuff that tastes worse than a lot of £5 a bottle of stuff, there's loads of decent wines that can be got at that price.

When its on offer at Sainsburys Lagunilla rioja is around £5-£6 a bottle and is excellent.  even good old Hardys Crest chardonnay when on offer is around £5 and that is a really nice middle of the road white.
    docbaker said:
    For less than a tenner try the Co-op, the advice is not there, but whoever their buyer is, knows what they are doing, and the price-quality ratio seems pretty good.
    Yes. I noticed that several years ago.